St. Andrews: Arabic & International Relations

stylusdef

I graduated from IB in May 2010 with a diploma of 39 points. Now I want to apply to universities in the UK to study Arabic and International Relations.

I really want to get into St Andrews but I'm doubtful as to whether they will accept me. The minimum requirement for Arabic-IR is 38 points (only because IR is so popular; other joint honours with Arabic require around 36) so I'm just above the limit. My personal statement will not be filled with stories about fancy extracurricular activities, but I'm sure that my English teacher can write a fantastic reference about my language skills.

It's too bad that you can't write different personal statements for different courses. If I choose to apply to other courses than Arabic-IR, say Arabic-Politics, then I will not be able to explain specifically why I want to study IR. I guess I just have to leave that aside unless I choose to go all in on the Arabic-IR course at St Andrews (which is probably unwise).

What do you think about my chances to get into Arabic-IR at St Andrews? I studied three languages in IB: HL Swedish A1 (6), HL English B (7) and SL Spanish Ab Initio (7). My social science was HL History of the Americas where I got a 6. Please help!

Check the requirements for what level of the language you need to know before you start applying. Otherwise I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get accepted. As you've taken a gap year you'll need to mention something about what you've been doing since you graduate, they don't like it when students take a year off just because.

St. Andrews will understand that you're applying to 5 unis, so if you write a PS why you'd like to do IR only and not the Arabic, then they're presume you're applying to general IR courses.

you can subtly hint that you're interesting in learning more languages in your PS without specifically referring to Arabic, which will be sort of related to this course, but not that badly unrelated to the others perhaps?

Check the requirements for what level of the language you need to know before you start applying. Otherwise I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get accepted. As you've taken a gap year you'll need to mention something about what you've been doing since you graduate, they don't like it when students take a year off just because.

St. Andrews will understand that you're applying to 5 unis, so if you write a PS why you'd like to do IR only and not the Arabic, then they're presume you're applying to general IR courses.

you can subtly hint that you're interesting in learning more languages in your PS without specifically referring to Arabic, which will be sort of related to this course, but not that badly unrelated to the others perhaps?

Ok, thanks. At the moment I'm taking a course in Political Science at Stockholm University. Next semester I'm going to do Economics, but I'm thinking about switching to an IR course if that increases my chances of getting into St. Andrews by showing my dedication to the subject. And yes, I must check what level of language I need to know. I just presumed that it teaches Arabic from scratch, especially since you take a bunch of different subjects (I think?) the first year in Scotland.

Edited by stylusdef

If you don't get into the school you want to go to, you can always transfer in later from another school. Just make sure that the school you're transferring from has the major you want. :) )

As to getting into St. Andrews, you have enough points to be eligible to them, as you said in your post.

Also, there are some qualitative aspects of the admissions process (almost for all schools) such as the personal statement/application essay.

Does St. Andrews ask for what extracurricular activities you participated in outside of the personal statement? If this is so, then you can include that in your application in the appropriate section. I know that talking about your EC's are a major aspect of the qualitative aspects of applying to U.S. universities, so I would assume it would apply to other universities.

Teacher recommendations can also aid you in applying to this college. In my opinion, try to ask for recommendations (if you can pick) from teachers who teach in the area you want to major in, and make sure that these teachers know you well, and that they don't hate you :coffee:).

The most important piece of advice I can give you is apply. It can never hurt to apply to a university, even if you think you have a small chance of getting in.-I'm not saying you do lol- If you don't apply, you have absolutely no chance of getting in. So what would you rather have, a 40% chance of getting in, or a 0% chance. I made up those numbers, don't worry.

you seem to be set on getting into St. Andrews more than what you want to study. Which is not the right way to get in! not to a UK university at least.

Decide what you want to study first is my advice. Don't just go to a University because of its reputation! that's such an American way of going to Uni, which is not the same in the UK because you don't get freshman year where you can just take a bunch of subjects and then decide on your majour the next year!

• Like 2

If you don't get into the school you want to go to, you can always transfer in later from another school. Just make sure that the school you're transferring from has the major you want. :) )

As to getting into St. Andrews, you have enough points to be eligible to them, as you said in your post.

Also, there are some qualitative aspects of the admissions process (almost for all schools) such as the personal statement/application essay.

Does St. Andrews ask for what extracurricular activities you participated in outside of the personal statement? If this is so, then you can include that in your application in the appropriate section. I know that talking about your EC's are a major aspect of the qualitative aspects of applying to U.S. universities, so I would assume it would apply to other universities.

Teacher recommendations can also aid you in applying to this college. In my opinion, try to ask for recommendations (if you can pick) from teachers who teach in the area you want to major in, and make sure that these teachers know you well, and that they don't hate you :coffee:).

The most important piece of advice I can give you is apply. It can never hurt to apply to a university, even if you think you have a small chance of getting in.-I'm not saying you do lol- If you don't apply, you have absolutely no chance of getting in. So what would you rather have, a 40% chance of getting in, or a 0% chance. I made up those numbers, don't worry.

I think that UK universities in general place less emphasis on extracurricular activities than American universities. But of course I should include them in my personal statement if they are relevant. Concerning teacher recommendations I think I'm going to ask my English teacher for a reference. She likes me, and she can probably write some nice things about my language skills (which is pertinent to my choice of Arabic). And thanks for your last advice. It's true - what have I got to lose really?

you seem to be set on getting into St. Andrews more than what you want to study. Which is not the right way to get in! not to a UK university at least.

Decide what you want to study first is my advice. Don't just go to a University because of its reputation! that's such an American way of going to Uni, which is not the same in the UK because you don't get freshman year where you can just take a bunch of subjects and then decide on your majour the next year!

Well, I don't wanna go to St. Andrews only because it's St. Andrews. It offers the exact program I want to study - which is Arabic and IR - while the other universities I have applied for (e.g. University of Edinburgh, SOAS) offer programs like Arabic and Politics which is quite different. Moreover, Scotland takes no tuition fees from EU students, which is awesome. But as I said, the most important reason why I want to go to St Andrews is because it offers a Joint Honours in Arabic and IR. I don't know any other universities (apart from mediocre ones) that offer that particular combination of subjects.

Yeah, alot of my friends are doing that. One of the most coveted universities in the state I live in (besides all those private New England schools) is the University of Florida, and so the overwhelming majority of my senior class is applying there. I wanted to go to that school for the longest time because it was a family tradition. When I changed my career goal over the summer I realized I couldn't go to UF because they didn't offer my major lol. So, applying to schools only based off reputation is a bad idea. As with most of my friends, they want to apply to UF because it's UF (circular reasoning) without even knowing if it's the best college for their major.

About your comment on U.S. students taking classes in the Freshman year without a major, many people actually do that. There's a special option on applications where you can choose "undecided."

Also IB students(Also AP, A-Level, AICE, whatever) in Universities across the country are given "sophomore standing" upon entering University. I don't necessarily think that this allows them to graduate early, it's just that they don't have to take as many of those basic science, history, and English courses in Freshman year, and they get to substitute them for harder classes :)

Edited by JoeGuff

Okay, guys. I have the opportunity of stuyding any course at Stockholm University this spring and I want to choose one that would maximize my chances of getting into Arabic-International Relations at St. Andrews. Unfortunately, Stockholm University does not offer any beginner's courses in Arabic during the spring, but they do offer International Relations. However, I'm thinking about doing Spanish instead because I feel that I could really excel in that course, and it would also underscore my interest in languages. What do you think? Quick, help me, I have to apply today!!

Just to make sure, are you asking between choosing International Relations and Spanish? (I'm sorry, it's night where I live right now :P )

If so, I would advise that you pick International Relations. It seems like you have more of an interest in that subject. I'm not sure about those schools policies, but you may be able to add on the Arabic aspect of your major later in the year when actually start attending your school. :v:

Well, you might always be able to minor in Spanish at the University you decide to apply too, if Arabic is not possible.

Sorry I thought you were applying for it instead of straight IR because it requires 36 not 38.

Just go for it. Don't be worried about not getting in! did you check the language requirements? if you're really that passionate, I'm sure there are centers that teach Arabic in Stockholm?

Don't worry so much about getting in! all you need to do is apply and hope it's enough. Don't be discouraged to not apply because it's too hard!

Well, I am going to take a course at Stockholm University this spring, but I'm still applying for programs in the UK starting in September 2011.

I just wondered if you knew what course I should take to maximize my chances of getting into Arabic-IR at St. Andrews. Given that I am already taking a course in Political Science at the moment, I figured that taking a course in Spanish during the spring will show my interest in languages, which is important when I apply for Arabic. Plus, I am fairly sure that I can ace the Spanish course.

I am not planning to study at Stockholm University for long. These are just some courses I've taken while trying to figure out what I really want to do.

Edited by stylusdef

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this was...two years ago haha but I'm an applicant for the University of St.Andrews to study Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry.

I'n an international student and I hold a scholarship for the four years that I study there BUT big big big problem... I don't think I'll meet my offers. I have a feeling that I'll be two points off, max 3 points below.

I've checked their UCAS requirements and on their official website and both say 35/37 points and their offer for me is 38, and I take 4 HL's..

Any advice?? I don't want to ask them now in case they take the scholarship away and I dont want to wait until I realise I don't have the points and have nowhere to go.

Help please! I would very much appreciate it!!