good at Math = good at Music?

dessskris

are you good at Math? or Music? both, or even neither?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you?

• I am good at both Math and Music
    • I am good at Math, but I am not good at Music
    • I am not good at Math, but I am good at Music
    • I am not good at both Math and Music

Adapted from The Correlation Between Music and Math: A Neurobiology Perspective

By: Cindy Zhan

I remember the first time I heard the statement "Did you know that listening to classical music enhances your mathematical abilities?" I was both intrigued and excited, intrigued because I did not understand how music and math, two seemingly unrelated subject could possibly affect each other. I was also excited because I began to view classical music as some kind of magical potion that would transform my math skills from decent to extraordinary.

It turns out that there is much evidence that supports the positive effects of music on one's ability to do math. Most research shows that when children are trained in music at a young age, they tend to improve in their math skills. The surprising thing in this research is not that music as a whole is enhancing math skills. It is certain aspects of music that are affecting mathematics ability in a big way. Studies done mostly in children of young age show that their academic performance increases after a certain period of music education and training. One particular study published in the journal 'Nature' showed that when groups of first graders were given music instruction that emphasized sequential skill development and musical games involving rhythmn and pitch, after six months, the students scored significantly better in math than students in groups that received traditional music instruction.

How does this type of music that emphasized sequential skills, rhythmn and pitch manage to improve children's ability to do math? It turned out that there are two distinguished types of reasoning, spatial temporal (ST) reasoning and Language analytical (LA) reasoning. LA reasoning would be involved in solving equations and obtaining a quantitative result. ST reasoning would be is utilized in activities like chess when one needs to think ahead several moves.

The effect of music on math sometimes termed the Mozart effect. The Mozart effect gain its name after the discovery that listening to Mozart's compositions, which is very sequential, produces a short-termed enhancement of spatial-temporal reasoning. Some key reasoning features used in spatial temporal reasoning are:

1. The transformation and relating of mental images in space and time

2. Symmetries of the inherent cortical firing patterns used to compare physical and mental images and

3. Natural temporal sequences of those inherent cortical patterns.

What part of the brain controls the correlation between math and music? Dr. Gottfried Schlaug found that certain regions of the brain such as the corpus callosum and the right motor cortex, were larger in musician who started their musical training before the age of 7. The part of the cortex, which contains the repertoire of spatial-temporal firing patterns, can be excited by music and is utilized in higher brain functions such as spatial-temporal thinking in mathematics.

In conclusion, music enhances mathematics skills. Music targets one specific area of the brain to stimulate the use of spatial-temporal reasoning, which is useful in mathematical thinking. However, as to the question of whether or not music is the magical portion that will elevate anyone's ability to do math, the answer unfortunately . . .would be no. Just because most mathematicians are fond of music, doesn't mean that all musicians are fond of mathematics.

Listening to music, or being able to master a musical instrument does not automatically guarantee that one can perform well in math. In other words, there are many musicians who are good in music but not in math. Music is a lot more than notes conforming to mathematical patterns and formulas. Music is exhilarating because of the intricacies of the patterns that occurs. Whether or not these patterns resemble math has no relevance to many musicians. More often than not, musicians are inclined to practice music because of the wonders and awe that they feel for music even if they are not aware of the math that is in music.

I myself am good at Math, and I sing well, too. unfortunately I do not play any musical instruments, simply because I did not learn to.

and I think that there might be some cases where people are good at both Math and Music, but it still does not guarantee that everybody who is good at Math is good at Music, vice versa.

what do you guys think? which one(s) are you good at? any friends of yours who are good at both? now are you going to learn more Music in order to do better at Math? :)

Just saying I like this poll :D

Anyways I have played the piano for 7 years. I'm still terrible at math though :) However I know many people who are good at both and people who are only good at math. I actually don't know many people like me (good at music but not in math).

In relation to the article, I started playing the piano fairly late (I was almost 9 when I started), so maybe my 'corpus callosum' and 'right motor cortex' didn't benefit as much, explaining my mathematical ability :) But I do believe there is a correlation between music and math.

Most people at my school (notably asians) are super good at math and other subjects and are wicked good at piano. I myself have been playing piano seriously for 9 years, although mostly by ear not so much lessons. And I am arguably good at math, although i wouldn't really consider myself gifted in math :) So i guess that applies for me.

Well in any case I think that a poll probably won't represent capabilities properly. For example, in many schools, people will be forced to do math but a lot of schools don't force their students to do music. This means that while there could be potential to be good at both it doesn't necessarily mean that a person has been allowed the opportunity to develop the skill.

That being said people also might not like music or math, so personal preference would affect how much they involve themselves in either subject, thereby affecting how much they develop the skill such that it can be considered "good".

Too much analysing? :)

Hm, well im kinda in a wierd situation. I'm good at maths, and I was good at Music, until I stopped a few years ago?

But I've heard that playing a musical intrument makes you smarter, and opens up your brain, so maybe that's where the connection is?

If you played an instrument when you were young, you might still retain some of the 'brain benefits' even if you don't play it anymore. By the way they talk about the connection in the article if you want to read about it :)

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak please :)

Guest Red XII

I'm good at math, but I'm not all that good at music.

I played piano from 1st grade to 10th grade and trombone from 4th grade to 11th grade, so I guess I still got the benefits of playing music.

Actually, I think I may have been quite good at music had I been dedicated enough to practice - I was able to learn it quickly when I did.

I'm not sure what category that puts me in, but it seems I still fit the music/math correlation somewhat.

My old music teacher told me that maths, music, ICT and languages were all on the right hand side of the brain, which I think left handed people use more than right handed people do (?)

Just saying, these things are related.

Music and maths especially, because music is basically maths.

I'm relatively good at maths and music and maths definitely helped me with music theory (:

Good question.

Personally, I'm good at both. I play piano and flute, but I'm good at math. It's just... logic. As for music,that requires a bit more. I live and breathe music. To play music, you need a free spirit. It`s really hard to explain. I just can`t.

But chances are, being good with math helps you.

Good luck! XD

• 2 weeks later...

Well being good at maths certainly helps with all the theory work in music. But I think maths makes me a perfectionist which really irritates me because I start to see music in this really logical way. That's good in some ways but it also means I forget to feel the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the info.

I play the violin and cello. I have always heard that playing a musical instrument can lead to better math. I think that is because we use math in a way when playing music like with compound or duple meters. I am pretty sure that I am good at math because I can play a musical instrument. Otherwise, I think I wouldn't be that good.

Does being bilingual affect anything?

I have always heard that being bilingual helps something.

:rofl: