Economics in Sweden

nicxl

Hi,

I'm interested in studying Economics at a Swedish university and I was wondering if there are any Economics programmes taught in English. I might be able to study in Swedish as well since, like all Finns, I studied Swedish for 4 years before the IB and I think my skills are quite good. I know it is very rare in Sweden to have whole undergraduate programmes in English but it would obviously be much easier since I've already been through the IB.

Furthermore, the problem with Swedish is that I have no formal qualifications as a proof of my Swedish skills. (Do they arrange some sort of Swedish exams, then?) I could of course attend a pre-university Swedish course if it is required but that would make things a bit more complicated in terms of financing my living and all. Apart from the Swedish part, I think my IB results are sufficient for entry into an Economics programme in Sweden.

So, in a nutshell, do you know of any Economics programmes in English, and if not, which universities with programmes taught in Swedish would you recommend? What about the Swedish requirements?

Hey there!

I am stuying IB write now in Sweden! The TSIUS test is one way to get qualification another way is to take a course Stockholm University and Uppsala both offer a course for those that have prior knowledge in Swedish and need qualification. I am sure that economics is offered in English somewhere,just google that. Also, IB grades are cpnverted into Swedish marks.I think a scale can be found at vhs.se.

Lycka till!

I don't know about any undergraduate programme taught in English, but it might exist somewhere. I suggest you check Stockholm School of economics (Handels) which is one of the best economics universities, I'm told. But I think you should aim for a Swedish one, think about how your language skills will improve! Check also Uppsala University, it's good and has several programmes in all sorts of areas.

The grades are converted, but you are not competing against other Swedish students, unless they've changed that recently. Don't really know how it ended up. You're just competing against other students with foreign educations. But that shouldn't be a problem if you have decent grades.

May I also suggest that you do "högskoleprovet". Then you'll have a greater chance of being accepted and you'll probably show that you know Swedish. And do it twice, if you have time to. It's always good to practice.

Got to agree with Tilia on the school choice, but with exceptions. You apply on the same level as Swedes with the IB if you hold Swedish citizenship (they changed it last year), thus I assume you would apply in the same category as Nordic applicants. If you have great grades, there is not need to fly out to take the "högskoleprovet", but merely the TISUS would do. Here's a link on the TISUS test (in swedish) http://www.nordiska.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1668.

Below is some information on the IB in Swedish Universities (again in Swedeish) it has the conversion scale and some pointers.I am not sure it says anything about bonus points, but I know you get 0,5 just for doing the IB :P

http://www.vhs.se/PageFiles/3542/Landblad%202010/Landblad%20IB%202010.pdf?epslanguage=sv