PHP app for compiling notes

timtamboy63

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9862-anyone-interested-in-compiling-notes/page__pid__80566#entry80566

Im not sure if admins actively look at the threads, so i thought id post it here anyway

Let me know if you guys are willing to host, if so i'll get started ASAP, should be done in a month or so depending on the amt of homework I get.

bump, i'd like to know whether we can upload it here before I start?

Edited by ~Lc~

Helloo,

sorry for ignoring your post, as I was in here editing it yesterday :)

Sounds like a good idea, what you guys are thinking of is:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TSR_Wiki no?

it's a good idea, we thought of doing something similar but because we didn't want to personally create it (it takes a lot of work to create something like that, and try and run a forum from scratch) so we left it at that.

I don't know if we can afford to host it at the minute. As you might have heard, we're a non profit forum unlike TSR, so all the money we earn from subs go straight into server expenses. and we don't host ads to gain money either to make the forum look professional :D

so I will contact Graeme and ask him what he thinks (he's a bit busy at the moment) as he's the one who deals with forum additions. But I can't tell you if we can or can't do it at the moment :)

Plus we'd need someone to actively moderate it (other than current forum mods, as they're already piled up with work. and I don't have enough time to do both either!)

Other than that it's a good idea :)

It would be kind of similar to that, but a lot more streamlined, and specifically for compiling notes. Also, if we can't host it on here, I can probably host it on a friend's server, but that would only be a temporary solution. Moderation wise, I don't think it would require that much work. Maybe one or two dedicated moderators for just that bit would be fine?

And because anyone could edit it, we could rely on users to remove anything offensive, etc. I mean look at wikipedia, it works quite well there :)

Also, it'd have an IP-ban feature. If we find someone misusing it, we can simply ban their IP and they no longer would be able to access it.

you can just get a proxy to get off the IP ban. I think content needs to be approved before published, to make sure the quality of the work on there is high enough, and so we don't have duplicates of things!

yes 2 dedicated moderators will do, but where will you find these? if you're willing to be one I'd say be my guest :D but it's hard to keep motivated to work for free (and doing this is really hard work and time consuming) for a long time, people tend to come and go, and being a constant is hard when you look around and you figure out that you don't know anyone on the forum anymore :)

just a few heads up.

Your solution does sound temporary, but again I'd have to ask Graeme. Maybe if we have ads on it then it would be affordable to create :)

p.s a wiki format is actually how this forum started off, we used to have the TSR IB subforum as our forum, and created the wiki as a document/notes sharing base, but then forum demands were high so we switched to this.