What's Math HL?

ezex

Ok, I'm a big math person, which is probably why I ditched IB math so long ago and just took up individual studies which go way further than any IB math class can offer, but I just can't help but wonder what Math HL is...I mean I had to take IB Calculus, which would be Math SL i guess, becuase i need an IB math, but I really dont get what the class is about. All I heard is that it's not much math into it, mainly theories, and not enough calculus. Anyone in it mind sharing some specific details? i.e. is it Calculus at a higher level? or simply a branch of the history of math?

Guest iber2468

It's... hmm... I don't even know how to say it. It's just more topics covered I guess? For example right now we're doing Period of Revolution with solids, fascinating stuff. I can't really say because unlike chem hl/sl, I've never been on the other side of the fence.

In a frame of reference, math sl here is like the provincial math 12 course, but math hl covers a lot of first year univ stuff.

firstly dude there is no such thing as IB caclulus! math SL covers many topics other than calculus! I really don't what your school is teaching you!

Math HL covers various topics just like SL but you go deeper into it. It's not just "theories" and not enogh calculus, in fact I took HL for a year and we did the calculus option, trust me it was ENOUGH! calculus to last me a lifetime! if you want to know more about the whole thing feel free to look into a syllabus :)

firstly dude there is no such thing as IB caclulus! math SL covers many topics other than calculus! I really don't what your school is teaching you!

Math HL covers various topics just like SL but you go deeper into it. It's not just "theories" and not enogh calculus, in fact I took HL for a year and we did the calculus option, trust me it was ENOUGH! calculus to last me a lifetime! if you want to know more about the whole thing feel free to look into a syllabus :)

Lol, sorry I keep doing that. The thing is that in our school, actually in most of the country, you get to advance classes according to how smart or dedicated you are. And since highschool math goes:

Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-calculus, then Calculus AP if you want to, then in rare cases Calculus AP II, and then if you alreayd finished everything else they let you go to college to take classes ahead, it's called dual-enrollment.

I've already seen the Math SL class and here, probably in most places too, it almost counts as Calculus I in college, first year of math you might call it. And since our school has AP Calculus I, and with the same teacher as Math SL, I keep saying IB calculus because in the end that's what it's mostly about, with stats on the side. Oh and trust me, the math taught at this level is nowhere near enough calculus for ANY math related career. I mean it's a good start, but the calculus ahead is so interesting that I can't wait to start learning it.

See and that's why I wanted to know what Math HL was, because since I'm going on the Calculus branch of math, that class doesn't seem to be something i'd be interested in, or maybe i would if i took it, but I wanted to know that type of stuff before I asked my school to open the class.

ok I know what you guys take :P I used to work in a Uni applications office in the states for a few weeks! of course math SL calculus isn't anywhere near any math career! math HL calculus is no were near as easy as math SL calculus! trust me I did both! I can't remember the basics in the math HL calculus! you clearly haven't gone through the math HL material. Just out of curiosity, do you "just" want do to calculus? dude you have to go into all sorts of maths if you want to continue maths at Uni, if not then that's another story. But just doing calculus all the time :P

This is why I hate the American educational system! because only a few will end up going into depth in some subjects and the rest won't know the fundamental basics in subjects they're "weak" in! imagine if one of your not so gifted classmates were doing math SL? would they be able to pass? I doubt my cousin who lives in the states would, she couldn't understand how to solve quadratic equations using the bloody formula!

Anyway Math HL is pretty complex, again if you wanna know what ticks in there check out the syllabus it's pretty clear...

Guest whatever

There is nothing called IB Calculus !

Look . there are 3 levels i know where they teach us at school

1) IB HL and that's IB higher level , and they have many many topics

2) IB SL (or used to be called IB methods)-->many many topics taught again

3) IB studies (lowest level) --> many many topics again

There is nothing called IB Calculus !

Look . there are 3 levels i know where they teach us at school

1) IB HL and that's IB higher level , and they have many many topics

2) IB SL (or used to be called IB methods)-->many many topics taught again

3) IB studies (lowest level) --> many many topics again

Yes... and he has explained why he calls it IB Calculus... did you even attempt to read his post?

For your future reference, according to my IB coordinator, IB subject cover board, wide-ranged topics compare to AP but generally going into them less detail than AP. If you graph it, it would simply be......

post-1591-1199240667_thumbjpg

Hope you can read the chart - -''

Edited by Argiyama

IB further maths SL is quite a handful. Apparently only 10 people in the world gets a 7 in it each year.

I think that course is equivalent to some calculus courses at university.

Which is why I dont like IB math. Allright I've been reading all the thigns you guys have been saying and I gotta admit there's a lot of weird things in here, though it's TOO broad. I understand why people like it though, but in my opinion it's not worth it. Like you said, Forester, the further studies equals some calculus class in college, but again, if you really like math with a passion, do what I did and take super easy IB math so that you can have time for those other "some calculus courses at university". I know it sounds crazy because after getting to know all you guys from around the globe I can tell what they do here in America is pretty weird, but here what we do is focus alot into what we're interested. See about 5 kids in my school like math enough to study ahead, so what our school does is gives us a temporary internship in the any college near us to let us take classes ahead, so far we've taken about 3 years ahead of "math SL further studies" and next year we'll be 5 years ahead (classes are semestral so we do 2 calculuses a year).

Kind of off topic, but this is related to the "unamerican ideas by IB" topic because sicne there are hundreds of kids like us around the country, people like me, though not me cause I don't hate IB as much :) , protest saying that IB is controlling them, not letting us advance ahead. Of course saying it's unamerican is going too far, but you have to understand that there is just SOOOO much out there to learn that it frustrates us when they tell us we can't take Math HL on 9th grade because IB starts in 11th and we'd be braking the rules if we did it. Of course they can't stop us from advancing so they either kick us out of IB or "suggest" we take it easy on the classes...I just called the edu. board and forced them to let me take the class, though I had to agree to postpone the test until this year, 11th.

Thanks to everyone for giving me your feedback on the class though :bawling: Maybe some day they'll just add a segment to IB were we spend half of the day in college were we learn things we like rather than a little of everything...but hey, probably never gonna happen :)

Reality_Check.bmp

Edited by ezex

Which is why I dont like IB math. Allright I've been reading all the thigns you guys have been saying and I gotta admit there's a lot of weird things in here, though it's TOO broad. I understand why people like it though, but in my opinion it's not worth it. Like you said, Forester, the further studies equals some calculus class in college, but again, if you really like math with a passion, do what I did and take super easy IB math so that you can have time for those other "some calculus courses at university". I know it sounds crazy because after getting to know all you guys from around the globe I can tell what they do here in America is pretty weird, but here what we do is focus alot into what we're interested. See about 5 kids in my school like math enough to study ahead, so what our school does is gives us a temporary internship in the any college near us to let us take classes ahead, so far we've taken about 3 years ahead of "math SL further studies" and next year we'll be 5 years ahead (classes are semestral so we do 2 calculuses a year).

Kind of off topic, but this is related to the "unamerican ideas by IB" topic because sicne there are hundreds of kids like us around the country, people like me, though not me cause I don't hate IB as much :P , protest saying that IB is controlling them, not letting us advance ahead. Of course saying it's unamerican is going too far, but you have to understand that there is just SOOOO much out there to learn that it frustrates us when they tell us we can't take Math HL on 9th grade because IB starts in 11th and we'd be braking the rules if we did it. Of course they can't stop us from advancing so they either kick us out of IB or "suggest" we take it easy on the classes...I just called the edu. board and forced them to let me take the class, though I had to agree to postpone the test until this year, 11th.

Yeah, we understand what you're saying and I'm kinda agree with you too. Yet IB design to create a "well-rounded" person. That's why they bother you to pick one from each group-of-subjects. This cause you to be well-rounded but it also prevents you from pursuing an extremely, extraordinary skill in one particular area like Math >.< so it's kinda like double-bladed axe, it really depends on different type of people and obviously one system wouldn't be able to suit the needs of everyone around the world. This is what they think is the best that they can acheive the most.

Guest superman3429847

It is basically a comparable course to AP BC Calc. It starts out with basic calculus right from the get go, so if you are not proficient in math, it is not advised that you take this course.

• 4 weeks later...

ib math hl is the worst thing possible, i love maths i know i sound like a freak but i do i enjoyed them But when it comes to investigatiqons is when all my love and pasion get lost. I hate them they are so studpi senseless and there is no use in them. If you think about them most of the critiries your are being grade on are on comunication and in the actual exam you dont have much time to comunicate in youir answers so i really think they missed the point there. The syllabus is indeed hard, but not imposible if you have a certain level and you are prepare to work hard.

HL is certainly doable if you are good at Math (if you're already struggling, it's probably not a good idea) and if you are willing to put in a lot of work. I've always been rather...indifferent towards Math (I don't hate it, but it's not my favourite class either) and I do well enough in HL. There's quite a lot of calculus involved, but there are also many other topics in stat, trig, etc. Personally I think the breadth is nice. (:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, Calculus at higher level is really hard. Diferenciation is like fine, untill it gets implicit... And then came the integrals, where i missed a class, so i didnt really understand anything... And now were integrating sec squares and all that, so i am lost... And we learned no theory, well almost none, it was all aplication. weeks and weeks of it. Ohh and the last thing we did was the area calculations using calculus for 3D shapes.

• 1 month later...