Is CAS just basically Community Service?

Guest IMBATMAN

Guest IMBATMAN

Im a Freshman and I'm going to do IB but I'm a little confused on just what CAS is? I know it stands for Comminuty, Action, and Service, so is it just basicaly doing community service and getting checked off by the IB coordinator after you have done something or is it more? Thanks!

:wub:

The 'C' is actually 'Creativity'. In a way it is like community service, but the important thing to remember is: it isn't. The whole point is to explore different things to enrich yourself and the community. Last year I did some voluntary work which counted as Service, and a media course where I made a short documentary which hit all three. This year, I'm making a proper movie and stage show which hit all three. There are people on here volunteering in hospitals, taking up sports, etc to get their hours.

It's kind of like this: you have a lot of free will and you can do whatever you want... as long as it's within the restrictions.

As with 'getting checked off', different schools do it in different ways. my college uses Managebac which tracks hours and the actual activities so that you know how far or near you are to the 150 hours.

Good luck!

Edited by HGBellamy

Simply, the only community service is the 'S' part of CAS.

^ Basically this.

There are three main components, Creativity (maybe learning to play an instrument or a language) Action (Playing some type of sport team or anything that basically involves physical activity, for instance I'm currently playing on my high school's varsity soccer team) and the third component is Service ( this is where community service usually falls under, volunteering at a shelter, hospital or school related activities, etc)