Chemistry for Computer Science in University

Sofian

Hello, everyone!

I'm going to start the IB program next week, but there are a few things I'm not very sure about.

I would like to either do Computer Science (or possibly Physics) or Linguistics in University, and so far, here are my subject choices:

English HL

Math HL

Physics HL

Arabic A2 SL

French B SL

History SL

(Computer Science is not offered)

Now these are all subjects I enjoy a lot, and I'm fairly confident I'd be able to do well in them. However, some people have been telling me that taking Chemistry instead of French (my sixth subject) would be a smarter decision.

My question is, to what extent do most universities require Chemistry in IB for their CS or Physics courses? I somewhat dislike Chemistry, but really like French and so my total number of points will (probably) be higher if I take French. I'm aiming for top US universities, or *possibly* UK or even (less likely) Canada.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think that's possible. You need a language B to graduate with an IB diploma. Also, I doubt taking chemistry would help, but you may want to ask your school of they support Pamoja, it's a system for IB online courses, I think they offer CompSci in that. Here's the website: http://www.pamojaeducation.com/

Edited by timtamboy63

I don't think that's possible. You need a language B to graduate with an IB diploma. Also, I doubt taking chemistry would help, but you may want to ask your school of they support Pamoja, it's a system for IB online courses, I think they offer CompSci in that. Here's the website: http://www.pamojaeducation.com/

It is possible actually, since Sofian already has Arabic A2, so that fills the second language requirement. So it would be possible to replace French B SL with Chemistry. I don't know if chem will be that useful to you, but just check the requirements of whatever uni(s) you may want to attend later on.

Edited by fire.realm