May failed, Tips for November Exams '10

korean

Helow, basically i finished may exams with 22 points so i lack 2 points for the diploma... i chose ITGS, B&M and ENG...

Until now i have passed the B&M Book and started the ITGS Computer Confluence book... my request is if someone can give me some tips, guidelines or plans on how to successfully get to know the subjects perfectly so that i am ready after 3 months.

I had ITGS 3, BM 3 and English 5 on finals... whereas on Mock exams i had ITGS 5, BM 4 and English 5... i really don't know how i fell so much especially in ITGS where i thought i knew lots, but that is the reason why i didnt study much.

If you were in my position, how would you study.

Thanks

Edited by korean

I would study specifically to rectify my mistakes, and in a different way from before as that obviously didn't work out so well. Think back to what you didn't know in the exams -- where were you lacking detail, what did you struggle with, which questions could you have answered better?

Then just address that. I suggest doing past papers until you're getting them right all the time and going through the syllabus point by point. Look at questions and think: what do I NOT know which I would need to get this 100% correct? Then find it and learn it! This clearly won't work out for English (did you do A1, A2 or B?), but for the other two I imagine it will.

Don't bother with textbooks unless you're using them to fill in the gaps in your knowledge, because textbooks do not accurately represent the material, style and sort of questions you get in exams. You could spend ages doing something in a textbook but still not be able to answer the exam question in such a way that you get top marks. Past papers and syllabi are the way to go. The IB will never ask you anything which isn't expressly stated in the syllabus, so it's pretty much the ultimate guide to learning!

Basically: identify and fix your areas of weakness from the first time. A bit of self-evaluation seems in order!

Good luck.

Here is my advice for the following subjects:

BM: I think for BM you should buy the BM textbook by Paul Huang. Thats the best and it will help you a lot.

ENG: You need to learn to express your answers well. I would definitely recommend sample papers.

ITGS: This one of the hardest subjects to write your answers in. I suggest going to your teacher to help you in writing your answers. The hardest is to use the correct terminologies. As my friends would say: "Dude...you gotta learn some jazzy computer/internet words.....then shove 'em into your answers...".

Good luck!!