IELTS and TOEFL

Burinratt

I think different colleges have differing policies.

My college says

English Language Proficiency

A strong knowledge of English is essential for successful study at Harvard, including the ability to understand and express thoughts quickly and clearly. We require the results of the SAT I and two SAT II Subject Tests for all candidates. The SAT II English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) is not acceptable for this purpose. Students are not required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Test (IELTS) but we welcome the submission of your score if you have taken either. While students can choose any two SAT subject tests, applicants whose native language is not English should not take either of their two SAT II tests in their native language.

So you'll have to figure out which colleges you're interested in and go to their websites to check their testing requirements.

To give you a perspective, I took IB Spanish B. It was at SL. But there's no way that I could learn at a university where the professors only spoke Spanish. But that doesn't mean that other students who took the same number of years of Spanish as me [3 years] couldn't do the same. It depends on the individual.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This weekend I went to a university fair here in Bulgaria. I was interested in a few universities in Holland and Denmark in particular. The thing is, they all want TOEFL. I tried explaining to them I'm taking the IB as well as HL English, but they still demand I take the test. I don't have any problem in taking it, I just think its a waste of money to spend $180 on a test I don't really need. Plus I noticed many universities at the fair weren't that familiar with the IB which surprised me...

What's your opinion on tests like TOEFL and IELTS ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...