Common App Problems

SailorMelina

All right. I've just begun the insanity called "filling out college applications" and believe I got a bit too swept up. I recently opened an account on Common Ap and was just going through the things when I got to the Release Authorization section under School Forms. I wasn't exactly sure what it was for, but I filled it out and checked the "No, I do not waive my right of access" box. Am I in trouble? Should I have not checked that part? Help please.

I'm not completely sure I know which button you're talking about.. can you give me more details?

I know there's a place that you can check on the actual virtual forms that say you don't waive your right to see your teacher recommendations and other documents that the college is getting that'll be placed in your file for when they view your application. If this is the thing you clicked, then well... there's hypocrisy involved. If you don't waive your rights, I've been told that the admissions officers might look at that negatively, so the law that was passed so that you could see your application becomes kind of pointless. Grr. I waived my rights to see my application because I didn't want the possibility of that being the reason they picked another applicant over me, although that's probably not likely because it's either a small deal or not an issue at all with some admissions officers.

I'm not completely sure I know which button you're talking about.. can you give me more details?

I know there's a place that you can check on the actual virtual forms that say you don't waive your right to see your teacher recommendations and other documents that the college is getting that'll be placed in your file for when they view your application. If this is the thing you clicked, then well... there's hypocrisy involved. If you don't waive your rights, I've been told that the admissions officers might look at that negatively, so the law that was passed so that you could see your application becomes kind of pointless. Grr. I waived my rights to see my application because I didn't want the possibility of that being the reason they picked another applicant over me, although that's probably not likely because it's either a small deal or not an issue at all with some admissions officers.

Thanks. That is what I was talking about. Hopefully, whoever is looking at my applcation will be reasonable about it since common ap won't let me change it (I guess we're not allowed to change our minds anymore now that we're old and applying to college...gosh...). I wish I hadn't rushed through it though...but oh well. As long as it's not a BIG issue, then I won't worry too much. I'll just have to make the rest of it look killer. Thank you for telling me though.

You already submitted your common app?

I believe I read somewhere that there's a way to change the details you can't normally change... lemme see if I can find that information. .. So I couldn't find the original site, but I found this post which explains how to do it: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063755612-post2.html

Oh, and you can get the Common App people to change it manually for you, if you're interested.