University in Hong Kong or Japan?

I`m Potato

So, I am from Hong Kong and I have 2 places to choose from for my university.

1) Hong Kong - HKU

2) Japan - Tokyo U / Tokyo U of Foreign Studies

I'm fluent in Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese), English and knows very basic Japanese.

However, in order to apply into Japanese Universities such as Tokyo U (I don't want to enroll into an English taught course) I would need to get a pretty good score in the EJU exam (language proficiency exam for university education), but that's probably impossible because I've never had proper Japanese education and I just self-study it.

I can read and listen alright but have no idea how to use proper grammar and stuff to write a proper essay.

Anyway, my parents wouldn't want me to go back to HK because that's where I came from, so there's no point in studying abroad if I go back studying there.

SO I'm stuck with a dilemma here.

So, I am from Hong Kong and I have 2 places to choose from for my university.

1) Hong Kong - HKU

2) Japan - Tokyo U / Tokyo U of Foreign Studies

I'm fluent in Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese), English and knows very basic Japanese.

However, in order to apply into Japanese Universities such as Tokyo U (I don't want to enroll into an English taught course) I would need to get a pretty good score in the EJU exam (language proficiency exam for university education), but that's probably impossible because I've never had proper Japanese education and I just self-study it.

I can read and listen alright but have no idea how to use proper grammar and stuff to write a proper essay.

Anyway, my parents wouldn't want me to go back to HK because that's where I came from, so there's no point in studying abroad if I go back studying there.

SO I'm stuck with a dilemma here.

Unlike our Norwegian member, knowing Chinese already is a good start so please do not hesitate to further your Japanese language education if you are really into the idea of going to Japan for uni. May I ask why such a limited options for uni destinations?

If your grades are good enough to apply the above 2, then I believe there are plenty of US & UK unis would offer scholarships. I know that some unis in the UK specifically have scholarships for Hong Kong students, and in the US there is a very good liberal arts uni called Berea that will allow you to study & stay for FREE. Anyway, you already know how to write trad. Chinese so you've almost aced the hardest part in learning Japanese!

I have researched about the scholarships in the UK, however I do not think that would be sufficient for alleviating my financial expenses overall. Moreover, I personally have few interest in studying in the US, so I guess I will be more suited to an Asian environment.

To me, the hardest part of Japanese is memorizing syntax and the various readings of each kanji! :blink: That's what makes it so dinstinctively difficult even if you are fluent in the Chinese language. However, I do agree with you that the prior knowledge of Chinese characters would be beneficial in aiding the process of understanding Japanese.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...