Computer Algebra System

math2

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish you could use calculators with Computer Algebra System?

• No, I am alright without it. I can do everything I need on my TI-83/84
    • Yes, of course. It would be so much help for me.

Do you wish you could use calculators like TI-89 or TI-nspire CAS in your Math SL or HL class? Or do you think TI-83/84 was just enough? Did you have your TI-89 or TI-nspire CAS just at home to use it to help with your assignments? Was your teacher OK with you having them in class? Or did you not need those calculators and were satisfied with what TI-83 or TI-84 offered you?

I took Math SL, and I was very happy with my TI-84. I learned enough tips and tricks on the calculator to double-check my work in class, and I find that having too many tricks or relying on the calculator too much makes it difficult when you are forced to do without, such as on the Math SL Paper 1. The TI-84 did everything I needed it to do.

I would only use the CAS calculators if it was allowed on IB exams. I can use them, but I'm just hurting myself by not practicing it by hand. Although, it would be useful as a self-check to make sure you performed the calculations correctly. I'm happy with my non-CAS TI-Nspire. :)

• 4 weeks later...