Help! Should I apply to Uni or do a retake?

diga

I just got my IB results online a few days ago, and unfortunately they are worse than expected.

Having just passed the diploma with 26 points;;;I failed two subjects; Physics and Geography.

I was planning to go to Hong Kong next year to study finance at HKUST (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology).

However, I didn't apply to any University yet as I am doing a gap year.

1st Question: How do I apply? What do I need to do?

2nd Question: According to the general requirements for applying to hkust, one needs the IB Diploma. However their so-called "Competitive Score Range and/or additional requirements usually required from entrants" requires 30 points. Should I do retakes???

Thank you :blink:

I think you should retake! :blink:,it's better when you apply to HKUST and compete with other applicants. it's also for your future CV when you apply for a job. it's better to have a fair grade than having 2 failed subjects :panic:

The uni won't mind if it's a retake or not, they will take you in as long as you have a good result.

Since you have non-local student status, you will have to apply to HKUST directly. I did not apply there but the process should be simple, and you generally need to write a personal statement indicating you subject choice. You may have to make clear in the application that you are going to retake few subjects, so I think it's best to start emailing them to inquire about these things.

Good luck with your retakes. I'm going to HK for uni too, so hope to see you there! <_<

Which uni are you going to Aquarius? <_<

Hong Kong Polytechnic Uni. I know, it's not something on par with HKU or HKUST. But since I'm doing Hotel Management, it's only ranked after Cornell globally so I'm happy enough.

I'd definitely love to hear a update from you as well :D

Thank you all for answering!!! <_<

You helped me realizing that it is best for me to retake some subjects.

I already contacted my school and organized the retakes. :D

Next, I want to email HKUST. I am kind of unsure about how to apply without having my results of the retakes?!

Is it possible?

Anyhow, according to their website, the application period for 2011 hasn't started yet.

So,…what do you think;;;;;-shall I wait for the application period to begin and contact them then…

or wait for the IB results of the retakes and apply…;;;;

-maybe contact them now???

Thank you all for answering!!! <_<

You helped me realizing that it is best for me to retake some subjects.

I already contacted my school and organized the retakes. :D

Next, I want to email HKUST. I am kind of unsure about how to apply without having my results of the retakes?!

Is it possible?

Anyhow, according to their website, the application period for 2011 hasn't started yet.

So,…what do you think;;;;;-shall I wait for the application period to begin and contact them then…

or wait for the IB results of the retakes and apply…;;;;

-maybe contact them now???

The application period of non-local students for public HK unis starts around October - November and ends in February. I don't sit the Nov exams but I think the results of Nov exams will be released in January. Either way you're fine with your application I think, but just make sure you ask them thoroughly!

Even though I did not apply to HKUST, I did inquire them about a course I was interested in and they were really nice answering my questions. This applies to other HK unis too. And if you set your heart in HK already, try to research & apply to other unis like CHKU, CityU or my uni HKPU to boost your chance! :)

• 4 weeks later...