A Sad ED year

Guest iber2468

aww it's not always down to IB on it's own you know... well that's what they say ^o) Ivys are hard to get into generally... so you'd need excellent IB, SAT1 and SAT2 scores as well as a mind blowing ps... maybe they screwed up in one of these? really depends on the applicants...

Guest iber2468

I wouldn't say people at my school neglected SATs. I think 50% of the ED people had 2300+ SATs and at least 1 800 SAT II. Our range is about 2100 to 2380.

Penn people mostly got interviews, but Penn don't place a lot of weight on interviews.

Yale + Columbia + Stanford people didnt get interviews to my knowledge

Update (wonder what WE talked about this first day back after Decisions)

19 people applied early (to our knowledge)... and no one got in anywhere.

I think my friend was right in saying that most people in our year are GOOD, but no one's really OUTSTANDING like last year's grads

Edited by goddessxx

wow I applied regular with a 1620 SAT and got into purdue and NEU. They're not Ivy but they're hard to get into... and someone with a 2000+ SAT1 score should get in somewhere... are all these EDs you're talking about Ivys? because if they are then it's understandable if they aren't then :|

Yeah, there's definitely a lot more than just the IB that schools look at, especially the Ivies and those schools that rank equivalent.

Last year we had one IB Senior who everyone thought was absolutely brilliant: He was ranked 2nd or 3rd in the class (out of roughly 600), did research in our state universities, was a huge student leader, and everyone (including the Harvard alum interviewer) thought he was going to get into Harvard for certain. He got waitlisted.

On the other hand, we had this other IB Senior last year who had a 3.8 GPA, didn't really seem to do much, but was awesome in Speech and Debate; he had lower SATs than the first guy I mentioned, but this kid was accepted to Stanford.

With these high-powered schools I think academics is sort of only a baseline; they look for students who are able to contribute something unique to the campus, other than good grades.

We haven't been lucky either this year:

We had two applicants to Stanford for Early Action this year: me and another IB senior; we're both ranked 1st unweighted in the class, weighted I'm 9th and he's 2nd. We both got rejected =(

We had some other IBers applying to U Penn, but I haven't heard what they got.

However, one of my friends got accepted to Yale through the Questbridge scholarship program, so she essentially has a full-ride to Yale (gah, she's so lucky). Again, she didn't have the perfect GPA or SAT/ACT scores, but she's done absolutely outstanding service work over the past 3 1/2 years.

So yeah, again, it comes back to something more than just academics with those Ivies. I wish I had figured that our earlier, or had chosen a school for ED/EA that would've valued my academic strengths more. I got a 36 on my ACT and 2330 on SAT...it's gotten me scholarships at other schools, but when it comes to schools like the Ivies, it's not enough to stand out =(

Edited by BBiswatching

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whatever

What about you ? How were your university replies?

Well mostly because US universities don't depend on IB marks .They depend on GPA , SAT , and TOEFL

So maybe the students who applied didn't perform well on those , or didn't have a high GPA!

good luck with your applications .And it's cool how they would all tell about their replies.Some people keep those as secrets which is annoying .

Guest iber2468

Mine were a bit on the weak side I thought, I didn't get into U. Penn with a 2260 SAT =( and a handful of high SAT IIs

Then again, nobody from my school did, so i'm not that upset.

• 1 month later...
So US Early Decision results were released...

Our school in west coast Canada often boasts as one of the most rigorous IB program in the country

This year, a surprising large number of IBers applied to the US for Early Decision.

The results

Columbia: 2 people applied, both rejected

University of Pennsylvania: 6 people applied, 2 deferred, 3 rejected, 1's pkg was messed so they pushed it to RD

Yale University: 5 people applied, 3 deferred, 2 we haven't heard from

Stanford University: 6 people applied, 5 rejected/deferred, 1 we haven't heard from

Cornell University: Haven't heard back

So basically, out of the almost 20 people who applied ED from our IB program of 130, no one got accepted... yet.

This is so sad compared to last year, where from RD & ED we had 1 harvard, 1 yale, 4 cornell, 2 columbia, and a handful of UCs and Stanfords.

What's even more ridiculous is that there's one girl who might get in an Ivy early, and she's in regular :P

IB PAINS!

This sounds suspiciously like my alma mater. Is your school named after a certain British politician?

• 4 months later...
With these high-powered schools I think academics is sort of only a baseline; they look for students who are able to contribute something unique to the campus, other than good grades.

I cannot agree any more with this statement. Its the uniqueness factor that really allows people to get into the Ivies.