Law in the UK

rhea45

Hi there, I was wondering whether anyone else is applying to study Law (LLB) in the UK from the graduating class of 2011. I was looking at the requirements of various universities and although they are achievable, the low rate of entrants scares me. Is there anyone here who has applied to a law program in the UK and had been accepted? Any help/advice would be appreciated

A few of the universities I was looking at included: University College London (UCL) Kings College London, Durham, Bristol, London School of Economics and Exeter

Was there anything in particular you were worried about? Out of the places you mentioned, I've got several friends currently doing undergraduate Law at UCL, and also know some at LSE and KCL [Law + French] (all of them, bar one, are from international backgrounds and 2 of them did the IB) so have some ideas of the sort of people who get in there :)

The thing I would say is that the best thing you can do to stand out is to try and score very highly on the LNAT (which you'll have to take for UCL at least, I'm not sure about other Universities). That kind of thing will really make your application stand out. I don't know how they use it for Law exactly, but certainly UCL place quite a lot of emphasis on the BMAT for Medicine, and that's an equivalent sort of exam. You can certainly practice for the LNAT, and a good score in that ought to keep you on the 'consider' pile, at the very least :) One of my school friends was predicted just enough to get into UCL based on her IB scores (ideally I think you'd want to be predicted at least a bit over their minimum!) and got rejected about the time that the LNAT scores came out. Hers weren't all that amazing and although of course nobody can see into the minds of the admissions departments, her theory was that she got booted on the basis of the LNAT.

Was there anything in particular you were worried about? Out of the places you mentioned, I've got several friends currently doing undergraduate Law at UCL, and also know some at LSE and KCL [Law + French] (all of them, bar one, are from international backgrounds and 2 of them did the IB) so have some ideas of the sort of people who get in there :)

The thing I would say is that the best thing you can do to stand out is to try and score very highly on the LNAT (which you'll have to take for UCL at least, I'm not sure about other Universities). That kind of thing will really make your application stand out. I don't know how they use it for Law exactly, but certainly UCL place quite a lot of emphasis on the BMAT for Medicine, and that's an equivalent sort of exam. You can certainly practice for the LNAT, and a good score in that ought to keep you on the 'consider' pile, at the very least :) One of my school friends was predicted just enough to get into UCL based on her IB scores (ideally I think you'd want to be predicted at least a bit over their minimum!) and got rejected about the time that the LNAT scores came out. Hers weren't all that amazing and although of course nobody can see into the minds of the admissions departments, her theory was that she got booted on the basis of the LNAT.

Basically I am very worried about not getting in :) I am currently at a 37/42 and hopefully will be predicted a 39+ for my predicted grades. I am also working at a law firm this summer to gain some experience so I hope it helps. You mentioned you have friends who are studying at the institutions I mentioned, do you have an idea of their grades? I am also extremely worried about the personal statement at the moment. I will be giving my LNAT in a few months and will start preparing ASAP as I dont want to be rejected based on it. It would be really helpful to know what to put in a personal statement for law as well as what I would have to do to 'stand out'. Also I was wondering how the people studying law in the UK are finding the course, it has been quite difficult for me to contact people in first year law in the UK and I wanted to know more about the actual course.

Thanks XD

Umm, I assume you have looked at the standard offers of the universities you intend to apply to, you should be achieving at least something around that. My schoolmate got offers for law from LSE and KCL, I think he was predicted somewhere around 37-40 (I'm not sure) and you should have 1 or 2 7s in your HLs as that's what they really care about. I think you should try to be at a 7 level in English A1 as that is probably the subject they are most interested in. Be aware that at least with LSE you need to be realistically achieving a 7 in English A1, because that is what they normally demand in their offer and are likely to not let you in if you fail to meet that condition of the offer.

On another note, since you're worried about getting in it probably isn't wise to apply to LSE, UCL and KCL, maybe 2 of them, but not 3 since they are all in London and especially KCL and UCL might not differ that much altogether. Apply to at least 1 place that demands less than you are predicted.