Show your memorable CAS moments!

tolebelon

Hows it goin?

Well considering that its near the holliday season, I thought that if any of you do some CAS stuff that you actually LIKE, and have pictures or just want to tell some good CAS stories for us, post em. Im currently teaching elementary kids English here in Indonesia. I plan to have a small "last class of the year" party class and will be taking pictures. (I hope I remember to bring my camera :P ) So meanwhile... post yours!

merry almost-christmas :innocent:

hey guys,

i also have some great CAS moments and i plan to load the pictures as soon as possible (only after i can find the camera cord!!) but just to let u guys know, i am involved in Saturday School which basically teaches orphans every Saturday...i usually teach swimming, english, art and games..........but i also go to this church house place where I only teach english.....

I have a fun time with kids and plus....it help's with my CAS and keeps me involved..

• 2 months later...

Lols... I was working at a hospital and I was suppose to go around and take care of all the patients on the floor, bringing them stuff and just keeping them company. So after I walk out of this room, the doctor who was suppose to look after me was like oh yeah, don't go in room number so and so cuz the patient in there is really contagious.... and of course I been in the room

Edited by PuLsE

CAS was pretty interesting to say the least. The best part for me was probably the creative aspect. My school offered Destination Imagination and basically you work with a group of like 3-6 people and either build something or compose some creative piece like a song and incorporate it into a skit. It was honestly reallly cool! Yes, it was time consuming but nonetheless you generally get granted 100+hrs. I highly recommend students to participate in Destination Imagination if there school offers it!

Aside from DI, the hopsital and various sports aren't so bad either.

Damn, I wish my school had DI. Im running low on CAS. Only got 36 hours so far.

Great to hear about your stories. Just to add a bit to this thread, I also horse ride, and I manage the design of our school's charity group ICMD (I can make a difference).

Visit us at studentsmakeadifference.org and IMCD.deviantart.com OR show your support for us on facebook by joining the ICMD cause! (shameless advertising here lol)

We designed a few tshirts, bags, and pins and sell them so we can donate the profits to help reduce poverty etc.

:P

• 2 months later...

I do lots of odd and exciting things for CAS. It's stuff I would never have thought of doing before I did the IB.

Creativity

-I did a course in cake decorating. I was absolutely awful at it but it didn't really matter.

-I do knitting which I'm also fairly terrible at. I've been making one scarf for the past 7 months and I only have about 6 inches done. It's because I'm using really small needles.

-I also painted the art room in a homeless shelter. We had so much fun doing that because there were loads of spiders that I decided to rescue whilst the others kept trying to paint them. We also ate with the homeless people and one guy came and spoke to us for ages about the police chasing his friend or something.

Action

-I have taken up a martial art. That's loads of fun. My friend and I used to be the only females and the only people under the age of 30. There are now two people in their 20s too, one of them female. However, we're the slowest at advancing.

-I also do cheerleading. At first I thought it really wouldn't be for me. I had images of the typical cheerleaders in America but it's nothing like that. We recently performed at a carnival and next year we should be cheering for our local football team!

Service-

-I work with a group of IB students in college raising money for an African charity. We paid money for them to buy tables for their new school. We've done a car wash which, as you can imagine, was amusing. The first time we did it it rained and then the second time there were so few of us all of the time that it was so tiring. However, we got in water fights and all sorts.

-I also work for the local police station in their enquiry office. I file bail sheets and do the photocopying and things like that. Most of the time I'm just observing at the moment.

-I am a member of the student council and am, with another IB student, on the Charities and Fundraising committee. We raised £300 for Children in Need, adopted an African child and aided various charitable events within the college.

-I did a collection for the local children's hospice over Christmas. We were in a very posh area collecting money and some guy invited us in. We were a bit dubious but there were two of us and he had kids so we went in and hovered in the doorway. He invited us in further to see his wife who was sitting on the sofa in her pjamas with tissues as she had a cold. She was really shocked and he just laughed- it was obviously his plan. We gave them all lollies and then left. That was so odd.

I have so much more that I will be doing as well. I should be working in the hospital over summer and at Vitalise (with disabled people). I'm looking forward to it.

i volunteer at the local hospital and i work in the geriatrics department, so i help seniors. it's so interesting because most of the patients have experienced something we learn about in textbooks. i've heard so many war stories about vietnam, korea, WWI, WWII. people have told me about like the 1920s and how their lives were different, etc. its so interesting since we only read about these things and memorize dates and stuff, but the patients have actually experienced these events. i've even met a woman who met elvis prestley!