English A2 HL versus English A2 SL

Hi,

I am about to choose my subjects for the IB in which I will be studying next year. My problem is that I am hesitating between English A2 SL and HL. I could take HL easily, but simply there are also other subjects that I would like to take to the HL and maybe this particular subject could be left to the SL. MY QUESTION IS: is there a really big difference between SL and HL in this case? From what I know, HL studies one more option. But is for example a level of language required different? Is this one option a major variation from SL or it is simply a bit of additional material?

And how do unis distinguish between Eng. A2 HL/SL/English B HL and so on?

What is the difference in Internal and External Assesment between A2 SL and HL?

Thanks a lot for help (I need it quite fast - have time to make the decision until Monday :yes:)

Edited by pete93

I didn't take an A2 language, but look at the syllabus here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=104

I took Spanish B SL, and it's pretty much the same as Spanish B HL, from what I understand, except you're supposed to be more proficient in the language. The expectations are higher, so I would have struggled a lot more.

I would think you need to be able to show more critical thinking and mastery over the language at A2 HL, based on my experience with Spanish B.

Which universities are you asking about? Many have very different policies. I would think the main worry would be about your qualifications as an English speaker. Maybe some universities would base your ability to communicate on the level you took English? I don't know who would do that, but I can't see another reason it would matter.

You are expected to be a little better in the language but overall the difference is not that huge - the option is indeed additional material. You may want to look at the A2 language syllabus that can be found on this website as well. For the IAs you do the same stuff but just will have one option less to choose from, again you aren't required to be as good as the HL students but not a great difference. For external assessment you do the two papers: one comparison between two unseen texts and one essay answer based on an option you have studied in class (with questions like "What is the importance of symbolism in two of the works you have studied?" for literary option for example). I think you have a little bit less time, again a little bit less is required.

I think that with A2 English universities don't really care which one you've taken especially if you're doing the IB diploma in English. You also have your A1 language which demonstrates literary analysis and such. I don't think I've seen any university which has specifically required A2 English to higher level (in the UK) for any course.

That being said, English A2 is for most people an easy grade - I can't really say I've done anything at all during the course so far expect gone through a few books the evening before my mocks. It's not really required for anything but if you want to make your life a little bit easier it might be a good option.

Edited by Cynthia