Bio SL Paper 1 and 2

a.v.a

how was it guys ?

Overall the papers were good. Paper one was pretty good most of it i think are correct. Paper 2 was kind of confusing, i still don't know whats the correct answer for 'how does impulse travel along the membrane' in TZ2. does anyone know ?

Also TZ2

Paper 1

wtf, there were two questions which are not part of SL syllabus- the leading strand one and the one with bi/tricuspid valve- pls persuade your teachers to also protest so it gets taken off the exam

the multiple choice had a couple iffy ones.

I think I got 26/30 if I am lucky.

Paper 2

how does impulse travel was an essay qs, was it not?

I took qs 5 with the digestion and enzyme importance but was kind of stuck what to write about the lactose free milk- should i write about how to get lactase or how to use lactase to get rid of lactose in milk?- i wrote about both

only qs i got wrong for sure is define allele- o well 1 point.

for the labelling the gene transfer the first label for me was bacteria cell i also labelled sticky gc ends somewhere and the recombinant plasmid

i dont remember anything too difficult for either papers but they were much harder than previous papers cos I am not sure if I got a 7, unlike last 3+ yrs lol...

lots of chem was in my favour as i do chem HL.

how was it guys ?

Overall the papers were good. Paper one was pretty good most of it i think are correct. Paper 2 was kind of confusing, i still don't know whats the correct answer for 'how does impulse travel along the membrane' in TZ2. does anyone know ?

Hi

I did question 7 in section B which one of its parts was about that how does impulse travel along the neuron membrane

go to http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olcweb/cgi/pluginpop.cgi?it=swf::535::535::/sites/dl/free/0072437316/120107/anim0013.swf::Voltage%20Gated%20Channels%20and%20the%20Action%20Potential

here you will find an animation that summarises the whole process

Edited by bobo

TZ 1.

Paper 1 was OK, rather easy I think. Paper 2 was also fine, I wrote two sheets (3.5 pages) about Miosis for the long questions. P3 can't be discussed yet...

The only VERY weird thing was the question in P2 asking why the food industry uses lactase to break down lactose in many products, worth 3 points. Other than lactose intolerant people, and maybe better taste of glucose + galactose, I saw no third logical reason...

Also TZ2

Paper 1

wtf, there were two questions which are not part of SL syllabus- the leading strand one and the one with bi/tricuspid valve- pls persuade your teachers to also protest so it gets taken off the exam

Paper 2

I took qs 5 with the digestion and enzyme importance but was kind of stuck what to write about the lactose free milk- should i write about how to get lactase or how to use lactase to get rid of lactose in milk?- i wrote about both

for the labelling the gene transfer the first label for me was bacteria cell i also labelled sticky gc ends somewhere and the recombinant plasmid

i dont remember anything too difficult for either papers but they were much harder than previous papers cos I am not sure if I got a 7, unlike last 3+ yrs lol...

Yeah paper 1 was easy. those two are out of syllabus ? i will ask my teacher tomorrow.

In paper 2 the labelling i did was :

1)bacterium

2) plasmid

3) desired gene

4) host cell ( i was confused and didnt know what to write)

yeah i am also losing one point in the allele question i just wrote one set of genotype

in the nerve impulse question i wrote about when the impulse reaches the end of pre synaptic neuron the calcium ions open and the neurotransmitter do chemical reaction in post synaptic neuron. Is it correct ?

Also TZ2

Paper 1

Paper 2

Yeah paper 1 was easy. those two are out of syllabus ? i will ask my teacher tomorrow.

In paper 2 the labelling i did was :

1)bacterium

2) plasmid

3) desired gene

4) host cell ( i was confused and didnt know what to write)

yeah i am also losing one point in the allele question i just wrote one set of genotype

in the nerve impulse question i wrote about when the impulse reaches the end of pre synaptic neuron the calcium ions open and the neurotransmitter do chemical reaction in post synaptic neuron. Is it correct ?

It's how the nerve impulse is passed along the membrane, so no not synaptic transmission but the depolarization and repolarization along the membrane and then mention how the NA+ ion channels open the eflux of K+ ions out of the neuron etc. Or so i think anyway.

TZ 1.

Paper 1 was OK, rather easy I think. Paper 2 was also fine, I wrote two sheets (3.5 pages) about Miosis for the long questions. P3 can't be discussed yet...

The only VERY weird thing was the question in P2 asking why the food industry uses lactase to break down lactose in many products, worth 3 points. Other than lactose intolerant people, and maybe better taste of glucose + galactose, I saw no third logical reason...

I agree with you here. The 3 of us at my school taking Sl bio agreed there was no logical 3rd or kind of even 2nd answer after the lactose free one. I thought it was a dumb question XD