RI topic troubles

hmcg

i'm having alot of trouble with my RI in finding an appropriate question. ive jumped from topic to topic but finally ive choosen my focus as childrens theatre and my text as an adaptation of CS Lewis's novel 'The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe' into a play - but now what?

ive tried forming questions using the childrens theatre conventions and how they could be appplied to ligting or set but found then this requires creative imput which is discouraged in the RI. so now im thinking of going with what seems to be a pretty standard question of:

"what performing skills are necessary for an actor playing the white whitch in a traditional children's theatre production of the lion the whitch and the wardrobe?"

is this ok? and how do i approach the investigation?

im getting to the point where i just need a deffinite question so i can really get started on my research, so any imput would be really great

thanks

• 1 year later...

I think that I understand your train of thought, but here is the thing:

IB encourages students to learn about and research new theatre traditions. For the RI, you should be researching an unfamiliar theatre tradition or practice... Something that is separated from you by "time and space".

Thus, you should consider researching a tradition that is very different from contemporary theatre that is performed in your country. For example, I'm in the US, so I shouldn't write my RI on American Musical Theatre, Farce, Plays, or even Shakespeare, because it is very familiar to me.

Alternatively, select a tradition from another country (Japan boasts great traditions that work well for the RI) that is very different from contemporary theatre.

As far as the approach to the investigation, it is a basic academic essay. Just read or watch some sources that answer your question. It is also really cool if you can get a primary source (someone who actually performs or works within the tradition you are writing about).

I hope I helped!

• 3 weeks later...