TOK Presentation topic help

cgjames

I am in need of a topic for my TOK presentation. We can pick anything that we want as long as there is a contemporary issue. This is the second one I am doing. I failed my first one on solar power because I didn't present on a contemporary issue and my teacher is giving us a chance to redo our presentations.

Do you have any really interesting topics? Maybe your topic?

Aww that's unfortunate. Our teacher didn't require our topics to be contemporary--just that the related to TOK.

I hope you don't feel too discouraged to try something that still excites you. How about looking at news articles on Yahoo or something? Just reading through them will probably spark several ideas.

Umm okay I'm going to give you some of the options I considered for myself when I had the presentation.

I did mine on Synesthesia, it's actually very interesting and "contemporary" if you'd like to put it that way. There's a book that I based the presentation on called "The Man Who Tasted Shapes" by Richard Cytowic (I'm not sure of the spelling). Look it up you might find it interesting.

Other ideas are:

- Iluminati cult and the New World Order domination (related to masonry, Angels & Demons (a book by Dan Brown), subliminal messages for conditioning the youth and adolescents likewise, etc..)

- The Black hole

- Avatar (the movie) has a lot of TOK-ish issues such as running away to another world (escaping reality), the universal connection between all inhabitants of nature, sustainable development at the cost of nature, etc..

- Blondes vs. Brunettes and the debate about the Brunettes being smarter which is argued to be scientifically proven.

- Theory of Longevity (genetically engineering human genome to eliminate all the "killer" genes so humans can attain immortality)

those are just some of the ideas I can think of right now :)

Hope it helps & good luck!

I did mine on Synesthesia, it's actually very interesting and "contemporary" if you'd like to put it that way. There's a book that I based the presentation on called "The Man Who Tasted Shapes" by Richard Cytowic (I'm not sure of the spelling). Look it up you might find it interesting.

That sounds like a good presentation! I find synaesthesia interesting.

Cgjames:

Just pick up a local newspaper and read the first page and take some slightly controversial question that has been debated. IB likes local issues.