Vet Science, Animal Biology, Wildlife bio, etc.

Dr. Polaris

If I am going in these directions, would Math SL be preferred?

I am absolutely terrible at math. It takes me forever to understand something, then an instant to forget it again. I really don't know if I can do Sl. But since the subjects I'm aiming for are science-related, maybe I need SL, right?

Thanks

My advice would be to look at the requirements for those sorts of courses at the Universities you'd want to apply to. If they specify it then yep, I'd take SL Maths. However a lot of them either

A) don't care

B) don't know the difference between SL/Studies anyway!

If they don't specify, I'd make sure you're certain they don't want it and then just do Studies as you'll probably get an overall higher point score, which will stand you in good stead :D

Of course doing more Maths is always going to be useful doing any sort of science degree. People I know doing pure Biology have to do a whole maths unit -- I regularly thank my lucky stars I don't have to do it too! :( I've found myself using some of my SL Maths knowledge in my (science-based) degree, for which Maths was not stated as a prerequisite (I can totally empathise with you by the way, I hated it too!). In fact I've forgotten everything except for what's come up again this year :) What I -have- remembered has come in handy though. One of my friends also did IB, only she did Studies, and she's finding it harder than I am. You can always catch up, of course. You have to work out the balance for yourself! In retrospect I would've done Studies if I'd realised SL wasn't necessary, learning a bit extra for Uni > the torture of SL for the mathematically impaired (i.e. myself) :(

I looked on some universities' sites, and they don't specify, but they do have a whole subforum talking about bridging courses, where if you don't have the knowledge for your subject, you can do a bridging course which lasts a few months I believe, and then you can continue on with your undergrad. course in the nect term/semester/year.

This sounds like heaven to me. HOWEVER, what I'm afraid of is that the uni will look at my application and someone else's, and see that I might have gotten oe or two points higher, BUT the other person does Math Sl or HL and they take him/her instead of me. That's what I'm always afraid of

I'm just going to bump this real quick, with what Cambridge told me:

It is important to know that Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry are significant indicators when reviewing an application. Many schools only teach Maths at HL and I know subject constraints are somewhat challenging with the IB, therefore SL Mathematics would be vitally important.

A standard offer would likely to be 40/42 with 7, 7, 6 or 7, 7, 7 at Higher level, depending on subject combinations.

They say SL is vitally important for Vet. Science, BUT BUT BUT if Ido SL and get a lower overall grade than with studies, which would be betteR?