HL: Economics vs. History (?!)

stylusdef

I'm in the Pre-IB now, and it's time for me to choose my subjects. I'm pretty sure about my other subjects, but I'm not sure what I should choose for Group 3. My school offers Psychology, Economics and History, yet I won't choose Psychology.

I don't even know which one of these two subjects that I'm most interested in, since I haven't really studied economics before. I like History, but I've heard that it's a loooot of reading and stuff. Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh...I had to face the same problem, and I ended up taking history!

I think it depends on what you think you might want to study in university. If you want to go into business or commerce, economics would definitely be beneficial. On the other hand, if you're not so sure what you might want to take in university (like I was at the time), it'd probably be safer to take history. My guidance counsellor told me that it's far easier to take first year economics without any background in the subject than it is to take first year history without a any historical background (I don't know if they'd even allow you to take history in university without having taken history in high school!).

I hope that helps!

From my experience in the IB so far,I would recommend economics.Even if you don't think of this area for later studies, I think it is really useful in the daily life as well.But of course it depends on your preferences.You should choose the one you feel most comfortable with...if we must study something,why not choose something that we like?

Good luck :D