3-dimension problem

Hello

I am currently working on my maths IA and the one this year really makes you think sort of out of the box... the problem is based on dimensions and deviding objects in maximum possible parts

I managed to find the general formulas and prove them by induction.. the only problem is that although it does work, everything is based on the assumption that my recursive formula for the 3rd dimension works

In 2d i cut the circle

and get the recursive of previous number of pieces pbtained + the number of the cut...

Can someone give me any clues on how to prove the recursive formula for the third dimension? cause you can sort of "see" it, but really no obvious justification...

• 4 months later...

Hey!

I'm working at the moment on the portfolio also. Haven't gotten yet though to the 3D part, so I just started. We had discussion at school today about the maximum parts you can get with 4 cuts with the 3D cube. :P

I will post if I'll find something miraculous (doubt that though..)

• 4 weeks later...

spoilers! highlight to view..

S=2,3,4,5,6,... if n=1,2,3,4,5,...

R=2,4,7,11,16,... if n=1,2,3,4,5,...

P=2,4,8,15,26,... if n=1,2,3,4,5,...

any idea on how to use the spreadsheet?

Edited by Fazmyrull
Use the Edit button to add more to a post. Also, you can use [spoiler] [/spoiler] tags to insert a spoiler :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

but which software do you guys use to show the 3d cuboid? i've tried using the archimedes geo 3d software but its not user-friendly and i cant seem to draw a cuboid out ):

Google SketchUp is decent. That's what I used.

As for how to prove it, I gave up on that and just hoped for as many points as I could get without the proofs...