Understanding how to describe graphs

masochist

asf2.jpg

I genuinely don't understand how they want us to describe the graphs sicne its not enough to touch on the main ponits. I would really like to see a 'sample' answer if anyone is willing to explain/show it to me?

What would be an easy, formulaic way of answering questions such as this?

Heya! I am a Geo SL student (exams in a few days!!!) and my teacher did this exact same graph question for us, this is his answer (he was a Geo IB examinator so he should know :blink: ):

"In Country A the GDP per person has slightly increased between 1975 and 2001, but with many small fluctuations. However the under 5 mortality rate has consistently decreased in the same period, from 120 in 1975 to 30 in 2001. The GDP increased from 2800 to 3000.

In Country C the GDP per person has mostly decreased between 1975 and 2001, from about 8000 in 1975 to 6000 in 2001. However the decline has shown many fluctuations. Meanwhile the under 5 mortality rate has consistently declined in this period, from 155 in 1975 to 40 in 2001, with one year as exception, 1977 when it increased."

So you see he quotes numbers and years quite a lot, so that's what I would do as well.

Also when answering graphs both my Geo teachers (I have had two) have their favourite words:

- substantial(ly)

- significantly

- fluctuations

- exception

- slight (eg slight increase, slight decrease or decline)

- rapid (eg rapid increase)

- peak

- "at its highest" eg infant mortality rate was at its highest in ___(yr), at____(number)

You probably already know this but I was always told to remember that when "describing" graphs, you must talk lots about their shape and increases and decreases and quote years and figures and such, i.e. provide an extensive, detailed description, but you must NEVER EVER "explain" the graphs or their shapes. I.e. it would be inappropriate to start speculating in this question that Country B is more developed than Country A and so on.

Well, hope this helps. :sadnod:

Edited by hannah.mb
  • Like 1