Philosophy Essays

ceparanaIB

Hey,

I'm in my first year of IB and I've been having problems with writing my political philosophy essays. For example I was just asked to write this essay: "does society value liberty and equality in equal measure?" when I got it back my teacher said that I got a 4.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers?

The thing with philosophy is that the approach to essays kinda depends on exactly what you know beforehand... however, my main suggestions for how to answer a question like that would be that you first identify a line of argument. It doesn't have to be that great, but some sort of stance on the question which you uphold throughout the rest of your essay. With this question, if it were me, the thought which instantly occurs in my mind is that of all the instances of liberty and equality we see in society, in my opinion we don't value them much at all until they're gone.

From whatever line of argument you think of -- whether it's what I said or that liberty is more highly valued or whatever -- firstly start by an introduction with some definitions to lay out the parameters of the situation. Briefly: what society is, what liberty is (in society), what equality is (in society) and what you get out of the word 'value'. Then a sentence to outline your main strand of issue followed by a lead in to your strand of argument (e.g. "The question of whether society values the two or not is difficult, largely because in history [example of anything.. people not voting in the present day etc etc to make your point] these two are valued the most when people do not have them" ... "In order to approach this I feel that the key issue is defining what exactly we mean by the word value...") and you're off :')

Now the key is to largely ignore the issue in question throughout your essay. Your essay should largely be a discussion of what other philosophers and people have said about equality, liberty or values and then very briefly how this supports YOUR overall point. Ideally you want to have some points which back what you're saying up, and then some points which don't -- but which you can provide an example for and thereby discard.

So for instance I might think "hrm... values.. what have we done in philosophy which had the word values in it..."

* extrinsic versus intrinsic values -- define them, distinguish them and then say how it's relevant to your essay as to whether liberty/equality have intrinsic/extrinsic value. For instance if they are valuable in-themselves, how does that affect what society thinks of them? Do things have value only because people in society think they do (extrinsic) or because they would have value regardless of what people thought (intrinsic)?

Then obviously at least 2 or 3 more major points like this.

Basically you just want to go through using various philosophical theories or ideas and relating them into your argument. At the end you might conclude that both have value, but that it's impossible to measure it because their value is intrinsic, or something like that. Just show that you've used philosophical theories and ideas to consider the question, apply them to the question and come to a conclusion.

That always worked for me :') Once you've got the technique right, Philosophy is easy 7s -- it's a bit like English Lit in that respect. Learn how to write the essay and the basic literary features with which to analyse (= learn how to write the essay and the basic ideas behind the philosophical theories with which to analyse) and you're sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first thing you should do is to define. What do we mean with "liberty" and "equality"? Explain what you mean with this question and give a working definiton of some sense. Possibly also narrow the question down.

Secondly, find two different philosophic perspectives regarding this and give their views on the issue. Try to analyse these perspectives by finding assumptions adn unpacking concepts and so on.

Thirdly, EVALUATE! What are the strengths and weaknesses of these views? How consistent are they? Are they applicable today? Do the evidence support them? Do they have weird implications? Are they valid? How explicit and clear are they? Do they rest on sound premises?

Fourthly, conclude. Say which view you think is the best one and why. Mentions the implications of it and how it is important today.

This is basically it. Follow this and you'll get a 7. Remember the evaluation is the difference between a 4 and a 7, according to my teacher, be critical and not too descriptive1

:D

• Like 1