Maclaurin Series Question

PeacefulChaos

dcsu8l.png

I have no idea where to even begin with this problem. Can someone explain to me where they came up with the equation that the derivatives satisfy? I tried to work out the derivatives on my own to see if they do in fact satisfy the said equation but I get lost where they got the coefficients of the derivatives.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. Oh, and this is from an HL exam but I do not know what year...

While I've done MacLaurin series, I haven't seen something like this, so here's my shot at an explanation. I think I might be on the right track, but I don't have it all the way.

so if an is the coeffiecient, that means that an = f:bawling:/n!

and an+2 = f(n+2)/(n+2)! = f(n+2)/n!(n+1)(n+2) [see where the (n+1)(n+2) might come in now?]

So what I said was that

an = f(N)/n!

an+2 = an / (n+1)(n+2) --> (n+1)(n+2)an+2 = an

Now where does that n2 term come in? This is what I'm not sure about. But I think it has to do with the expression for the derivatives. It seems that if you start out at the 5th derivative, the 4th derivative will have one less power of n. The 3rd derivative will have 2 less powers of n in comparison with the 5th derivative. [shown by the n0 term in the f(n+2) and the n1 term in the f(n+1) and the n2 term in the f(N)]

Maybe you can see the step I'm missing. Or maybe I'm completely wrong... Ah well. G'luck.

• Like 1