ITGS

a.barghuthi

The ITGS SL consists of 2 papers as follows:

Paper 1 which is related to the topics you have studied and usually direct questions.

They could ask to :

define, compare, or give example on a definition

Identify points about a certain topic

Explain points

Mention advantages and disadvantages

Paper 2 which is related to the topics studied but nothing is memorized. This Measures how you can relate issues in the world to IT..basically how you can use what you have learnt in IT into real life situation

the first parts of the question are usually easy and rather made to make you gain marks

**make sure to fully understand your case study and relate your answer to what is given in the question

In paper 2 there a part usually the last that has high marks with a range of 8 to 12

This question is usually what makes you lose marks and lower your mark from a 7 to 6..this is ..well was the story of my life.

SO HOW ANSWER SUCH A QUESTION:

1.First mention your point

2.Explain that point (2-3 lines)

3.Mention examples to clarify your point

4. Give advantages to your point

5. Give disadvantages to your point

6. Suggest a solution

If the question ask for ethical issues metion how it can be solved

such as a virus hits the computer therefore all data will be erased (the point)

(Solution) -----> install an antivirus and update it regularly

however if the question asks about a positive impact of a thing then mention a solution to its disadvantages

7.Effectiveness of solution...CAn your solution solve the whole problem 100%

This is how you can get the max. points possible

I hope this helps all IT students ..wish you the best !

Edited by a.barghuthi

for me paper 1 is a just a matter of knowing the material and memorizing terms... in other words studying the book is enough... paper 2 needs a lot of general knowledge so i suggest that all of ufella itgs takers to start reading articles of the internet and newspaper, also there's green book about ethics and society in the IT world its called "Computer Ethics" i was told it helps in aper 2...

in paper 2 if i know and like the topic of the case then i usually do pretty good (good as in 6-7) bt if the topic is stupid, and i find irrelevant (or know nothing about) then i screw up big time....

I have never opened it too but it seems interesting and it is not part of the syllabus for nothing..I wonder why the teachers have not mentioned them and the 2 year progra is almost over :P

well, in my case it was different, our teacher told us many times to read it but i never bothered... it is a thick book of ethics! how interesting can be that?! our mocks are after 3 weeks so i guess am going to keep it for the second semester...

Our ITGS teacher is such a ***** **** ***** ******** ******

she always gets us the common sense case studies as the weekly test when im either sick, have a serious lack of caffeine, sick and suffering a major headache, or just not in the mood to think what tools and devices are including in an airplane simulator.

and when i am in a creative mood she gets us a case study about databases which needs studying from the book and notes, and memorizing **** and i nvr evr open my IT notes or book unless we have a monthly test (the big tests that have lots of part of your grade on the monthly assessment)...

ah well! guess what i rly care about is my external scores thats the only thing i need to get to uni in jordan :P

Guest mr_whatsisname

any news on the case study? we are all doing the la vianda supermarket thingy huh? we have visited two supermarkets just to get some information and i think that paper 3 is rather easy this year.... i mean supermarkets do not need THAT much IT do they? COnsider having a bank or something? jeeeeez

they have a reading device called um..Optical character recognition i have to check cuz it has been a long time since I studied these. Anyway our teacher keeps getting the same case studies. SO it is either that the IB has not new ideas or the teacher tan out of pastpapers.

In our school we dont have ITGS HL only SL so we dont have any case studies. To tell you the truth we are suffering in SL

oh and the supermarket has a large database to know the price of a good if the price label got removed or the reading device is not working

Guest mr_whatsisname

oh! great thx....

i must tell you though that HL itgs is wayyyy easier than standard level...the only difference we have in the syllabus is "Computer Crime" and a bit more depth in expert systems and robotics... The IA's are different though... in HL there are three essays (one is an interview) and in the SL you have this project thing (which i find much harder)... in general terms itgs is my favorite class... and is a course thay actually deals with real-life situations... (not like useless maths :wub: aarrgh:P)

I already did them so I am sureof what i am about to suggest:

Is the product functioning?

Fully functioning, partially.....etc

Is the text useds suitable?

Are the images suitable?

Is anything out of its place?

If yes then please specify

Could the product be used as a permenant solution? (not a preferable question unless you gaurantee that the answer is yes)

Do yo have any suggestion on how to improve the product??

yes i know... our school realised this year that leaving the project till grade 12 is not such a good idea, so grade 11 will do it second semester this year. as for me i am practically done with it, did my modifications. All is left is the last criterion 'K', which is not that hard anyway (is it? lol). our deadline is January 13 so i guess am ok. when did you do your projects?