Option G - Ecology and Evolution - please help with question...

bLub

Outline the biogeographic features of nature reserves that promote the conservation of diversity (limit it to edge effects, size and habitat corridors)

in school we wrote down some confusing stuff about edge effects!????... please help!? thanks!!

Do you not have a Biology textbook or syllabus? I handed my textbook back in when I finished Bio but I can guarantee you 100% there's going to be an explanation in whatever textbook you used, and am equally sure you guys must be using a textbook of some description!

Even just looking at the syllabus it's more or less explained just in the tiny information box at the side!

Limit this to edge effects, size and habitat corridors.

Large nature reserves usually promote conservation

of biodiversity more effectively than small ones.

The ecology of the edges of ecosystems is different

from the central areas due to edge effects. An

example of an edge effect is the egg-laying habits

of the cowbird of the western United States. It feeds

in open areas, but it lays its eggs in the nests of

other birds near the edges of forests. Fragmentation

of forests has led to a considerable increase in

cowbird populations because of the increase in

forest edge. Wildlife corridors allow organisms to

move between different parts of a fragmented

habitat, for example, tunnels under busy roads.

Without meaning to be condescending or anything, it's very easy to find information for Biology without even having to look beyond minimum resources -- it's doesn't require any complex understanding, it's just a case of finding what you need to know and then literally knowing it. I'd recommend you always work from the syllabus in this respect because it's extremely precise about what you need to know (and you should definitely use it to revise! :rofl: ).