#10 "A model is a simplified representation of some aspect of the world... search for knowledge?"

Lance H

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot, this looks really helpful.

However, I'm having trouble identifying 'knowledge issues'. I'm doing essay 10, A model is a simplified representation of some aspect of the world. In what ways may models help or hinder the search for knowledge?, and at the moment my knowledge issues are 'Is it possible to acquire knowledge from models?' and 'Are models accurate representations of reality?'

Am I on the right lines? Any advice would be appreciated!

Have you checked out:

That is the thread that discusses your topic, you may find the answer there. I haven't read through it, so it might not have the answer. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try and help you out :)

Thanks, yeah, I have looked through that thread, and it might have my answer....but I'm not really sure what a knowledge issue is, so it's hard to tell! How do you identify a knowledge issue, and how do I know if my knowledge issue is adequate for the essay?

Have you checked out: http://www.ibsurviva...-for-knowledge/

That is the thread that discusses your topic, you may find the answer there. I haven't read through it, so it might not have the answer. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try and help you out :)

Thanks, yeah, I have looked through that thread, and it might have my answer....but I'm not really sure what a knowledge issue is, so it's hard to tell! How do you identify a knowledge issue, and how do I know if my knowledge issue is adequate for the essay?

It's basically answering the question: How do I know blablabla?

It's questioning the knowledge you are given. How do you verify that what you know is true, supported, defendable?

Have you checked out: http://www.ibsurviva...-for-knowledge/

It's basically answering the question: How do I know blablabla?

It's questioning the knowledge you are given. How do you verify that what you know is true, supported, defendable?

Ok, so do you think 'Is it possible to acquire knowledge from models?' and 'Are models accurate representations of reality?' are knowledge issues? Thanks so much for your help :)

• 2 months later...

Would it be a bad idea if I began my introduction with rhetorical questions? The intro is supposed to be "arousing the reader's interest" so I thought asking them questions that they could relate to was one way to do that. The question is about models and the role it plays in our lives, so

I started off with questions like "would travelers be able to travel without maps? Would mathematicians be able to solve complex equations without the equations?" and so on.. And then I relate it to what models are, how they're formed, and the extents to which it both helps and hinders the search for knowledge. So is this a bad idea?

Would it be a bad idea if I began my introduction with rhetorical questions? The intro is supposed to be "arousing the reader's interest" so I thought asking them questions that they could relate to was one way to do that. The question is about models and the role it plays in our lives, so

I started off with questions like "would travelers be able to travel without maps? Would mathematicians be able to solve complex equations without the equations?" and so on.. And then I relate it to what models are, how they're formed, and the extents to which it both helps and hinders the search for knowledge. So is this a bad idea?

Bear in mind that you only have 1600 words. I am not saying that its a bad idea, im just saying do you think its really the best way to start? I personally think maybe starting with a quote, related to your topic would be better than stronger. Remember TOK is a very philosophical topic, even though everything you say is slightly vague yet solid at the same time, you have to carefully choose every word that you use (okay, maybe not every word.. but you get the idea) that would ensure you to have looked at both sides of the story and answered the "can anyone deny that". So rhetorical questions in English may not necessarily be applicable in the same way in TOK.

Or maybe you can simply start off with what your idea of a model is, + a personal experience. That definitely helps you gain marks in the personal engagement section!

Can anyone give an example of a knowledge issue I'm still really confused about that

A knowledge issue is a question or statement that questions knowledge itself, how knowledge is acquired or the basis of knowledge. I uploaded a file on "Understanding knowledge issues" in the Files section, however this is only available to VIP members.