Guided Coursework

3k1yp2

So its crunch time and I need to do my guided coursework for History of the Americas II HL. Im blank. I was thinking imperialism? Any ideas for an easy guided coursework topic would be appreciated. Im leaning strongly toward imperialism (though another idea may be better) and am wondering if anybody knows any good books that are really pro- or anti-imperialism. Please help. :D

What's guided coursework? You're taking exams within two months, right?

i am indeed taking exams in may. I am a senior in high school, last year of IB. Guided coursework is the internal assessment for IB Americas HL. You pick a topic, find two books about your topic, (books have to have opposing viewpoints or at least very different ones) and you write a paper about it.

A. Plan of investigation 100-150 words

B. Summary of Evidence (you basically give background info) 500-600 wrds

C. Evaluation of Sources (you talk about the sources; weaknesses, strong points, summarise) 250-400 words

D. Analysis (you talk bout the importance of the topic, analyse evidence, give interpretation perhaps) 500-650 words

E. Conclusion (follows up Analysis in part D. State exactly what you found, how evidence answers the question...GIVE AN ANSWER/CONCLUSION.) 150-200 words

F. Cite sources in alphabetical order

i actually changed topics since the thing is due on like tuesday for mailing. I picked Vietnam and am using two books by soldiers who talk about their war experiences. One is really gloomy and talks about the futility and stress of the war, the other is by someone who used their time in the service to help loads of vietnamese. Im worried about exceeding the 2000 word limit.

hope the breakdown of the Americas internal assessment helps someone. I need to know what the criteria for passing are, specifically how much they can dock you for exceeding the word count. I know the whole thing is worth twenty marks, and 20% of your HL grade. (25% for SLs)

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Use the "Edit" button to add more to a post.

Check out this site:http://sites.google.com/site/costellocraig/ibhistoryseniorlevel [the Historical Investigation Criteria]

It says you get 0 out of 2 points if you're not in the word limit. Honestly, that's two points you could get fairly easily. Footnote things. Rearrange words. Be more concise. Ask your teacher or a friend about which parts can be shortened. If you want me to look over it, I don't mind.

The reason I asked what the guided coursework was is because I don't call it that and it's a little last minute to be working on yours if you're about to graduate, but you already know that. We did ours last spring. Good luck =)

What I learned from my IB 20th Century Topics class when I did my IA is that you don't have to limit yourself to two sources. That's the mistake my History of the Americas teacher made last year. Use multiple sources you'll thank yourself for it in the long run, you see that you have more to work with. But I think when you do the OPVL (Origin, Purpose, Value, Limitations) and this falls under Evaluation of Sources, you only have to choose two authors with opposing viewpoints. However you get can get loads of information with two just two authors go for it! I hope this helps. :D