Is this considered cheating?

Guest Artus

Guest Artus

As far as I know, the teacher who is going to mark your math portfolio is not allowed to help you...well...

...when I finished my math porfolio...my teacher read my porfolio (without marking it) and told me that everything was correct...but that I should explain it in a simpler way...then she gave my porfolio back so I could write a simplier explanation...is that considered cheating? Is her telling me to write it in a simpler way considered cheating? I did all the work by myself...but is it still considered cheating that she told me to write it in a simpler way...after all...telling someone to improve their explanation is considered "help" right? So...in short...is it ok if I write a new simpler explanation...or is that considered cheating? By the way...my explanation is correct...but my teacher didn't like it...that's why she told me to change it...

Also...our school just got IB last year...so IB is new to our school...so we don't know much about these porfolio things...that's why the teacher wants to help us...

• Like 1

Guest Artus

Teachers are allowed to give 1 feedback about your math/econ/science portfolio. So no, it is not cheating.

How do you know? Is there a website or something that writes the rules...I would like to read it myself to be 100% sure that I am not doing something wrong...I just want to feel comfortable...Thanks...

• Like 3

"Follow-up and feedback

Teachers should ensure that students are aware of the significance of the results/conclusions that may

be the outcome of a particular task. This is particularly important in the case when investigative work

is used to introduce a topic on the syllabus. Teachers should allow class time for follow-up work when

developing the course of study.

Students should also receive feedback on their own work so that they are aware of alternative

strategies for developing their mathematical thinking and are provided with guidance for improving

their skills in writing mathematics."

Source: IB Math SL Syllabus for irst examinations in 2008 (http://www.education.umd.edu/mathed/conference/vbook/math.sl.08.pdf)

• Like 1

I'm sure if the IB syllabus says it's fine then it's fine. Perhaps most teachers are just too lazy to give feedback. Mine refused to even touch any form of a draft and made it very clear from the start and said it was a part of the IB regulation. But then my friend in the neighboring class said her teacher not only looked at hers, but even told her it was bad and wanted a daily report on her improvements until it was due. So I think there are varying amounts of teacher support depending on their dedication and willingness to help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it should be fine. It is just feedback, and keep in mind that the IB rubric does not restrict for such limited feedback, as long as it not a peer evaluation or something like that.

My old teacher did the same thing, and it isn't cheating at all. It is good that you thought of that though, some people I know wouldn't consider that at all.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know, the teacher who is going to mark your math portfolio is not allowed to help you...well...

...when I finished my math porfolio...my teacher read my porfolio (without marking it) and told me that everything was correct...but that I should explain it in a simpler way...then she gave my porfolio back so I could write a simplier explanation...is that considered cheating? Is her telling me to write it in a simpler way considered cheating? I did all the work by myself...but is it still considered cheating that she told me to write it in a simpler way...after all...telling someone to improve their explanation is considered "help" right? So...in short...is it ok if I write a new simpler explanation...or is that considered cheating? By the way...my explanation is correct...but my teacher didn't like it...that's why she told me to change it...

Also...our school just got IB last year...so IB is new to our school...so we don't know much about these porfolio things...that's why the teacher wants to help us...

I realize that this is too late for this particular student, but I wanted to still post a response. I teach IB Math SL and am familiar with the "rules" regarding what teachers are and aren't allowed to do to aid a student in performing a portfolio task. Unfortunately, not all Math SL teachers are as familiar with the IB guidelines as we would like them to be, and also the guidelines themselves aren't always crystal clear. In fact opinions on how to interpret them often vary. Thus, help from math teachers will often vary in quantity and quality depending on your particular teacher's interpretation and level of familiarity and adherence to these guidelines. Some teachers will hand out an IA task sheet at the end of a unit, ask for the project 10 days later, and do nothing more to assist. Others will spend multiple classes introducing the IAs, run through practice IAs, help interpret an IA, proof or comment on a first draft, and also allow extra time. Some of the policy may be department or schoolwide and not even a decision made independently by your teacher. Also keep in mind the guidelines are not necessarily the same for Math IAs as they are for other subjects, and they also differ from the EE.

That being said, here it is:

The student is not allowed "direct" help with an internal assessment. This means from a teacher, internet, etc. That's why IAs are rare to download. Even if you were just to peruse another student's IA and put it into your own words, reperforming all the math and "making it your own" - in essence improving upon the previous student, this would constitute "direct" help with your specific IA. It directly addresses the same task that you are to perform, and provides guidance on one way to approach it. This is "direct" help. However, if your IA had to do with modelling, and your teacher were to teach a lesson on how to create a model sine function from an arbitrary set of data, that would be considered "indirect" help as long as the data was different and not in reference to the IA. So, your teacher can help indirectly by showing you how to do some things that may also be of assistance while doing an IA, but she/he must be able to justify to themselves that this act was not "direct" help. I know... it can be a fine line and even a slippery slope. No puns intended.

So, in Artus' particular case, because the teacher was helping specifically with Artus' response to the task, it could easily be construed as "direct" help.

And no, a teacher is not allowed 1 feedback. How would this 1 even be measured? 1 sentence? 1 paragraph or 1 book's worth of feedback? 1 time? If so, how much time? 10 minutes? 1 hour's worth of feedback? Could this 1 feedback be interactive like a Q&A? My point is that I have never read anything from IB saying that we are allowed to provide 1 feedback, as much I wish I had. I've only read things pointing to the contrary. And the statement that we are allowed 1 seems to be full of holes and new questions that I quickly grow suspicious of the source as the victim of wishful thinking.

The excerpt quoted above from the 2008 first exams courseguide is a direct quote from IB, but the timing is being misunderstood. This feedback and followup is meant for after the IA is complete. Teachers are to feedback and followup AFTER the IA, not during. It is meant to help students learn if they made mistakes during the IA so that

1) they don't make the same ones next time

2) they have a better overall understanding of how creative problem solving can be used to accomplish the task

3) they become better at communicating mathematics.

Wouldn't IAs seem pointless if the teacher didn't help you understand afterwards? If your teacher showed you "alternative

strategies for developing (your) mathematical thinking and (you) are provided with guidance for improving

(your) skills in writing mathematics," it wouldn't be much an assessment would it?

Edited by mathteach
  • Like 2