HI- Civil War

Mys

Hey !

So, I am currently writing an HI and have done quite a bit of research on Reconstruction and the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, however when I submitted my rough RQ, "To what extent did the assassination of Abraham Lincoln lead to the failure of Reconstruction ?"my teacher had told me it was not specific enough yet. I was wondering if anyone had general ideas on how to narrow this topic further.

Edited by Mys

Hmm maybe you can look at a specific aspect of the Recon period. Maybe you can look at it from an economic/social/political perspective of the issues in a specific region [North/Deep South/Not so deep South/West] or look at the next administration's weaknesses. I guess it would depend on your argument. Are you thinking Lincoln would have done so much more or are you thinking his VP didn't share his views and disagreements in Congress and the atmosphere in the Supreme Court was not conducive to change? And be careful about your topic because you don't want to speculate too much, so if you see a part of your argument relying on that, it may be better to replace it with something stronger.

• Like 1