Universities and psychology

theodore

Hi!

I've recently began to think that psychology might be an interesting field to study. However, I did not choose it as an IB subject.

Does this mean that I can't be accepted to study psychology in prestigious universities (especially in the USA), such as (my personal love) columbia? Am I in a weak position compared to the people who took psychology?

If it matters, the subjects that I AM taking are:

SL: Swedish, Math (studies), Biology

HL: English, Finnish, History

Is psychology out of my reach now? :/

What do you guys think? If you could point links etc to actual factual information that would be great.

Edited by theodore

Hmm you know you can just Google Columbia's webpage and find some answers & contact information. =)

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/dept/ugrad/prospective.html

Anyways, from what I know, not taking psychology won't hurt your chances of getting into a US college. A lot of students don't take a psychology course in secondary school and can major in it nonetheless. Not taking psychology won't hurt you. If you can pursue and materialize your interest into something tangible, then you'll be golden. Maybe researching into an area on your own or working for someone who will show you the basics or something. Taking the course would help you expand your understanding of the field, but you can still pursue psychology in the US without it. If you're interested in other colleges, check out their webpages too.