Knowledge Issues

Pathos

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was an ideal number of knowledge issues to include within your ToK essay- as I am aware that there are a vast majority of points associated with a clear and concise argument based around the knowledge issues established within the paper. I currently address three (two are in culmination) in depth :study:

Thank you

Pathos

I don't quite understand your english (what do you mean by "2 are in culmination", for instance??), but more or less it's the case that you shouldn't worry about including a particular number of knowledge issues. Knowledge issues as a label are vague enough without fretting about them! The question should pose the knowledge issues for you and you should give examples in answering, but honestly you don't even need to think about them. If you're going to count anything, count Areas, Ways and personal examples from your own life and make sure you've answered the question. The arguments and analysis you mention ought to spring up naturally as you discuss the title.

I don't quite understand your english (what do you mean by "2 are in culmination", for instance??), but more or less it's the case that you shouldn't worry about including a particular number of knowledge issues. Knowledge issues as a label are vague enough without fretting about...

Sorry, I can be a little unclear! Thank you for your help! I had a quick question on the personal examples. How are you able to effectively use a personal example without sounding simplistic or shallow (all the ones I endeavor to write sound fluffy).

Talk to your coordinater?

I stupidly left it a little late for that- but thank you nonetheless.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Use the 'Edit' button to add to a post rather than keeping multiple consecutive posts.

I had a quick question on the personal examples. How are you able to effectively use a personal example without sounding simplistic or shallow (all the ones I endeavor to write sound fluffy).

I guess you can take a good look at the tone of your essay. When I write TOK essays, I feel... free. It's not like I'm writing a real essay. I can talk informally, to an extent. When my entire paper reflects my less formal tone, then I find it's easy to explain personal examples. First thing I advise: try not to write eloquently & just say what you need to say as if you were telling this to a younger [albeit open-minded and critical] sibling. Just be yourself. Second thing: Figure out what you're trying to communicate through the example. This is great to do on an outline. When you're actually writing and you have the goal of the example in mind, you can avoid unnecessary details or at least cut them out easily once you've written it all out. The examples somehow relate to you and to knowledge [i assume]. They won't be trivialized as long as you can explain what they show.

• 1 month later...

there nothing lyk ideal number..!! but i wuld say that add around 5-6 issues and expand on them..!! expansion and ur ideas is most necessary thing to score good grades..!! talk to ur tok teacher also..!! good luck..!!

there nothing lyk ideal number..!! but i wuld say that add around 5-6 issues and expand on them..!! expansion and ur ideas is most necessary thing to score good grades..!! talk to ur tok teacher also..!! good luck..!!

Hello,

It is possible that your TOK teacher has taught you to address 5-6 knowledge issues in your essays; however this is not what mine has taught my class. We have been taught that about 70% of the essay should be questioning, while the other 30% should focus on answering the questions. This would mean that the 70% would focus mainly on the knowledge issues. We have been taught to focus specifically on 2 knowledge issues and examining them in-depth which will show the IB examiner essays that you have fully understood the knowledge issues you have chosen to investigate.

I hope this helps, and good luck with writing your essay :D