Skateboarding for CAS?

Karl

Hello fellow sufferers, :P

Yesterday I started to think of a good activity part for my CAS and found skateboarding. As to learn to skateboard. I also sent an email to my coordinator to ask if it is ok ? She replied that no because the public wont benefit from it... But to be honest I know 3 guys who do gym for activity and cannot find any benefit for the society from it.

How could i make her understand that this is the equivalent to or even better than the gym? I myself think that this learning more benefital to me than going to gym...

Thank in advance for your advice.

If you use your skateboard as transportation [once you learn], you'll be benefiting the environment.

Thing is, learning to skateboard isn't the same as going to the gym. However, something can be argued in favor of just about any activity. =)

Also, how developed are your bicycle lanes and sidewalks? Would it be feasible to skateboard short distances? Would you maybe help create awareness for a small minority that still uses bikes and sidewalks, so drivers should be more attentive? This may not be applicable to your town.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The public doesn't need to benefit from it unless it's a 'Service' activity - just list it as an 'Action' activity and play off the personal development factor involved.

Remember, the learning outcomes are:

• Increased awareness of your strengths and areas for growth
  • Undertaking new challenges
  • Planned and initiated activities
  • Working collaboratively with others
  • Show perseverance and commitment
  • Engaged with issues of global importance
  • Consider ethical implications
  • Develop new skills

and you only need pick a few. So I suggest going with 'Increased awareness of your strengths and areas for growth', since you can talk about the things you aren't good at and the things you are and how you plan on improving; 'Undertaking new challenges' which is quite self-explanatory; 'Develop new skills' which is also quite obvious; and 'Show perseverance and commitment' if you think it'll be easy to come up with evidence for that.

As for persuading your coordinator to allow this, show her the learning outcomes you plan on using and stress the importance of learning and development rather than benefiting society (which, again, is more limited to Service).

Edited by Charizard