Biology Extended Essay Topic... Help Please!

Guest birdiegirl3000

Guest birdiegirl3000

I've been reasearching and researaching, and I'm trying to find a topic (my rough draft is due this Friday.. eek!) But I keep on coming to dead ends. At first, I was going to grow mould from blue cheese on petrie dishes, and adjust the temperature to see how that affected growth, but I couldn't figure out how on earth I would connect that to biology, and turn this whole thing into a 4000 word essay! Does this seem like a workable topic?

I've spend all today reaserching cheese (I got it from the mould idea), and I'm coming to a dead end on this because I don't think I can grow cheese fast enough to complete my assignment on time. The whole thing Is due in a month. I suppose I could compare different moulds found on cheese...

Any ideas?

I've been reasearching and researaching, and I'm trying to find a topic (my rough draft is due this Friday.. eek!) But I keep on coming to dead ends. At first, I was going to grow mould from blue cheese on petrie dishes, and adjust the temperature to see how that affected growth, but I couldn't figure out how on earth I would connect that to biology, and turn this whole thing into a 4000 word essay! Does this seem like a workable topic?

I've spend all today reaserching cheese (I got it from the mould idea), and I'm coming to a dead end on this because I don't think I can grow cheese fast enough to complete my assignment on time. The whole thing Is due in a month. I suppose I could compare different moulds found on cheese...

Any ideas?

Don't really know much about the topic, but anyhow, are you going to be able to finish the rough draft by Friday? You might want to ask your supervisor to change this and tell him/her why.

The topic all in all is interesting. It is biology! But do you think you can turn it into a 4000 word-essay? I mean ok, it sound like a lab report with around 1500-2000 words max. You could adjust the title of your essay and ask more than one thing. For example, "The Effect of Temperature and pH (or any other factor you find suitable) on the Growth Rate of Blue Cheese Mould through the Use of ...". This way, you could ensure at least 3000- 3500 words. With the introduction and conclusion, you might be able to reach 4000 words.

My advice, sit down with your supervisor and discuss the issue. He/she might be able to give you a few suggestions on how to adjust the title to reach the word count. Ah! You might also (in addition to what you did), record the time taken to grow cheese and a method to grow cheese in a faster and more efficient way. Just start with your experiment and you'll get tons of ideas afterwards. :D

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello =)

I'm in the first year of IB and just starting to think about ee. Would it be possible to do it in Biology and do some experiment with a blood sample? I'd like to study medicine and think this would be really interesting..

Other than that, any general tips on how to survive IB are most welcome XD

Sincerely, Trisha (aka the tsarina)

Hello =)

I'm in the first year of IB and just starting to think about ee. Would it be possible to do it in Biology and do some experiment with a blood sample? I'd like to study medicine and think this would be really interesting..

Other than that, any general tips on how to survive IB are most welcome XD

Sincerely, Trisha (aka the tsarina)

Hello! :)

It is possible to experiment with a blood sample. However, you need to have a question which you can answer in 4000 words. Can you and do you have one? You might want to research a bit and come up with an experimental question that you'll try to answer throughout the sessions.

To survive the IB, check most of the forums on this site. :P

If you need any help, post and we'll try to reply ASAP. Have a nice day. :P

• 5 months later...