Is my choice right ?

rainin

Thanks for the reply Deus. The only option I have is to take Computer Science as my school doesn't offer Group 6. I'm thinking of switching to Physics H.L from Chemistry H.L , do you think this is a better decision in lieu of my decision of pursuing Business in the future

Could anyone else even place their suggestions for me as a friendly gesture thank you. :D

Edited by HMSChocolate

I guess you can't take Economics or BnM?

I dont think the science matters that much if you're going to do business. In fact I don't think you'd even need science at HL for business.

I would recommend Maths HL if you think you're up to it (I know...a bit rich coming from me. I hated Maths HL). Anyway, unis would accept you for business with SL but I think HL might give you a little more prep. I'm not sure where you plan to do business but I think you'd have to do some basic economics maths with a business stream and I find the background you'd get in Maths HL would help you a lot. I'm doing business myself at university and as much as I didn't enjoy Maths HL I find it helps me a lot for my economics courses like financial maths and calculus and stats.

And can I ask why you're taking 4 HLs?

Hi HMS, thanks for your reply I'm taking 4 HLs as my teacher recommended me to take ITGS as an HL subject which could help me in business. The only part it does is in E-Commerce i think.

Maths HL would be a little hard for me I think, earlier that is in 10th grade I was doing my Indian Education Board that time Maths was quite hard but I still managed to get 85/100, still I don't want to take a risk with Math HL.

As i'm not taking Math HL i compensated it with a Science subject at HL level.

Also, Are u doing an MBA or.... in Uni?

Edited by rainin

Also, Are u doing an MBA or.... in Uni?

:heart:

Not that old, dear.

I'm finishing up my first year at uni doing Bachelor of Commerce. :)

and I'm so blind.

Business & Management HL

I didn't see this. :P

Anyway I think you subjects are fine at the moment. I suppose ITGS could help a little. More than Comp Sci would anyway.

Neither Chem or Phys would be much of use to you so i don't think it matters much which you do, it's really rather up to you, which you like more etc. I guess I kind of see your teacher's point in recommending you do science HL to "make up" as, I've heard, some (UK) unis consider ITGS and BnM to be "soft" subjects at HL. Econ would be more reputable than BnM but obviously you don't have that option.

Sorry but I'm going away from the topic, but why is that Economics is more preferred than Business & Management at unis.

I've heard that Eco is easier than BnM then why so ?

Does this mean that even If i get good grades in IB , any uni won't be impressed by it.

Where as science is considered I wanted to ask my coordinator if it is possible to switch to Physics cuz my Chem teacher is not good at teaching chemistry as compared to how my previous chem teachers were.

I've heard that Eco is easier than BnM then why so ?

I've always heard...the opposite. Having done neither at IB, I can't judge.

Does this mean that even If i get good grades in IB , any uni won't be impressed by it.

I didn't say that. From what I've heard, Economics is usually preferable to BnM. But then again, it may depend on the uni you're applying to and how much they understand the IB system. But usually, if you get a good overall score, you should have no trouble getting into uni regardless of your subject. Neither Econ or BnM is a required subject even if you're going to do Business in uni because chances are everything you learn in those subject you'd learn more in-depth in uni anyway. And not every school offer those 2 (or either) of those subjects.

Where as science is considered I wanted to ask my coordinator if it is possible to switch to Physics cuz my Chem teacher is not good at teaching chemistry as compared to how my previous chem teachers were.

Fair enough.

From the Cambridge website, for your reference:

cam.gif

From here.

Keep in mind this is as regards to UK institutions only. It might be different elsewhere

(Credit: dangle @ TSR, in case he ever comes here and sees me jacking his stuff :heart: )

I've always heard...the opposite. Having done neither at IB, I can't judge.

I didn't say that. From what I've heard, Economics is usually preferable to BnM. But then again, it may depend on the uni you're applying to and how much they understand the IB system. But usually, if you get a good overall score, you should have no trouble getting into uni regardless of your subject. Neither Econ or BnM is a required subject even if you're going to do Business in uni because chances are everything you learn in those subject you'd learn more in-depth in uni anyway. And not every school offer those 2 (or either) of those subjects.

Hey, I have studied both BnM as well as Economics, and in my opinion Economics is more useful because it is a class that is much more applicable to the real world, especially macroeconomics. For example, before when I turned on the news and there was talk of interest rates or exchange rates, I was pretty clueless; now, due to economics it all makes more sense. BnM is also a useful class, but I found that Economics really helps you in understanding what's happening around you. Having said that, as mentioned in the earlier post by HMS most universities do not have a preference in either direction, so if you prefer one over the other, then you should take that class without worrying as to whether or not your university will think differently of you.

Hope it helps.

Personally, I'd leave out ITGS completely, and take history instead. This is because ITGS isn't really any particular subject in depth, instead it's just more like general knowledge based stuff about IT. This is only my personal opinion based on what I've heard of it, so anyone taking ITGS, feel free to correct me if I made a crude mistake. History, on the other hand, is in depth analysis of 20th century history (at least Hist. Europe), and you have to write loads of essays and stuff. In other words, it's more academic. That's probably why universities prefer it over ITGS.

I wanted to take BnM as an IB subject last year, but my school doesn't offer it. I asked my IB coordinator why we don't have it, and she said that about 10 years ago they were considering whether they'd start offering BnM or Economics at our school. They came to the conclusion that offering Economics is a lot more useful to the students, as universities are not that keen on BnM, whereas they like Economics. So, even if you want to do business in the future, I suggest you pick Economics instead of BnM. IB Economics is theory based, although it has lots of practical examples, so it really prepares you for uni, at least according to a friend of mine. BnM, on the other hand, isn't really that 'scientific', I guess. I hope I'm not offending anyone doing BnM by saying that, but that's what I've heard of it.

And yes, it's easier to score a higher mark in Economics than in BnM. I think that this is because Economics is based on theory and leaves less room for interpretation, so candidates find it easier to score high marks.

yes deissi, IT is more general than economics or BnM, in fact, it is more of a "commom sense" subject, meaning that anyone with medium knowledge about IT can answer an ITGS exam. but this does not make it a bad choice, if i was offered any other subject i would choose it.... but i am taking it to complete my diploma.. my university choice has nothin to do with ITGS actually...

• 3 weeks later...

our unis advisor says that you dont need business at all to get accepted in business in uni, however i recomend you check for each uni you're planning to go to... as for my suggestions... i recommend you either drop chemistry to SL or change it completely (unless you are most comfortable with it... but it is hard...yet our HL class gets 6s and 7s most of the time...)

math at HL is also recommended specially if you're going near anything related to finance... also keep in mind that almost most of the majors have atleast 1 yr of math an dtaking it at HL in IB can help you do well in uni :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest whatever

I think allof your choices are pretty good .. except for Chemistry ?

Why would you want to take Chemistry HL?

it's hard // and it's doesn't seem to help in your future in business ..