Sociology vs. Anthropology

D. C.

Hi, I'm entering the last year of IB this coming September, so university applications are coming up pretty soon.

I was struggling with whether I want to do Sociology or Anthropology at uni, but then I realised that I didn't know the difference between the two! :blink:

Can anyone explain to me how the two are different, or whether there are any good books I could get my hands on, to get myself better prepared?

Any help appreciated, thank you! :blink:

Here are a few answers I've found for you via the wonderful Internet:

"Fundamentally, sociology takes as its principal focus the study of human groups and organizations. This is different than the respective focuses of political science (government and power issues), economics (goods and services) and geography (the physical resources of the earth). By looking at all varieties of human social life, sociology takes a somewhat wider viewpoint than these other disciplines. Anthropology takes an even broader perspective, however. As the most philosophical of the social sciences, anthropology is concerned with the meaning of human nature and human possibility. It examines these questions by investigating the different cultural forms developed by peoples across the globe and by studying the evolution (both physical and cultural) of humans over thousands of years. It joins with sociology in its studies of culture, the vast patterning of symbolic and material creation that guides people's lives." (from Elon College's Department of Sociology and Anthropology website)

"Sometimes people ask me what the difference is between sociology and anthropology. There are the surface ones, of course — sociology typically studies first-world societies, whereas anthropology has a rep for studying so-called “primitive” cultures. But the fundamental difference is a philosophical one: sociologists study society, while anthropologists study culture." (from a blog called Raw Thought)

"In our days, the lines between the disciplines has blurred. The main difference seems to be methodical, as sociologists prefer a quantitative approach, with tools like polls, statistics, mass interviews etc, where anthropologists prefer a qualitative approach, meaning in-depth interviews and participatory observation." (A wikianswer, lol)

Hope that sheds some light!

I'm taking IB Anthropology and I love it, so obviously I'm very biased. I don't know that much about Sociology, but the main difference between the two that I'm aware of is the difference in methodology. As stated above, sociologists usually use polls and statistsics, whereas anthropologists use participant observation (meaning that they go and live with the people they intend to study, and they learn about them by living life as they do. The goal is to understand these people's lives from their own perspectives). Anthropology probably is more philosophical. One main complaint I've heard from classmates is that we look at thingsin too much depth, to the point where they stop caring. Personally, I love looking at seemingly simple things in a deeper sense, and I've never felt that these discussions have gone "too far" or have started looking at things "that aren't really there".

You should also be aware that there are several branches of anthropology (including archaeology and biological, linguistic, and social and cultural anthropology). Each has it's own focus. I take social and cultural anthropology, which is probably the most similar to sociology.

Again, I know very little about sociology, so make sure you get someone else's opinion on that for a more balanced understanding. :blink: