Chance at UC Davis? Even though Sophomore year was performed poorly?

Pretty'nGeek

Hello ;) Well, I'm really not sure how to start this. I am a resident of California, to start :). I would truly love to go to UC Davis for college.. but, during my sophomore year of high school, I received a GPA that was slightly higher then a 3.0. I was taking 4 Pre-IB classes and 2 standard classes. Needless to say, I really messed up...and I understand that. :\ During sophomore year I was very immature and didn't take the severity of the situation seriously. I had done very well 8th grade and Freshman year, but I am told that Sophomore and Junior year are the grades colleges look at on applications.

Next year, I will be an IB Diploma Candidate. Many of you might analyze what I said above, and will remark that I possibly should not be aiming for an IB Diploma with the grades I provided Sophomore year. I understand this. Though, I was recommended for the program and I strongly believe that if I get my act together, I can pursue my dream of getting into UC Davis. I understand that in order to get my act together, I must dedicate myself to the process, erase needless distractions, and maintain good studying skills throughout my Junior and Senior year of High School. I am absolutely positive that I can keep this up, as I am more determined then ever. :)

Here are my courses for next year:

0. TOK (Theory of Knowledge)

1. IB Chemistry

2. IB Biology

3. IB English III

4. IB Spanish III

5. IB U.S. History

6. IB Pre-Calc

Now, the reason that I am relieving myself of this information is that I would like some input from someone who is knowledgeable of the school, situation, and IB program. Given my slightly higher GPA of a 3.0 during Sophomore year, what are the chances I can still be accepted into UC Davis, given the scenario that I received a 5.0 or close to, during my Junior AND Senior year? I understand a 5.0 is very hard, but I would be very willing to give all that I could in order to reach close to. But, given the scenario, would this help at all?

Many of you might also tell me that colleges look at extra curricular activities, and that variable should mostly be covered with the CAS hours that the IB program requires. Also, a 4,000 word essay is due Senior Year. I will be finishing both this essay and CAS hours by the end of the summer after Junior year.

I have also not yet taken my SAT/ACT's. I will be taking prep courses this summer for those tests. How high of a score should I be reaching in order to aid my situation, and make it easier for me to get into UC Davis?

Also, I have read that UC Davis is one of the California universities that look for people with attributes that make them stand out, outside of extra curricular activities. Does the fact that I had spine surgery fit into that category? This mainly affected me during high school because I can not do many of the sports related activities other teenagers do for their extra curricular activities.

:) If you read through all of that, thank you. I realize it is a lot of information. Also, because of my poor grades during Sophomore year, when would it be the best time to apply for UC Davis, or any other UC? I would like the college to view my significantly raised grades during Junior year and Senior year and maybe see that I have gotten my act together, and can willingly change for the better. So, I was thinking that it wouldn't help me if I applied for colleges during Junior year. Maybe after Senior year?

UC Davis is my dream school, and I am in debt to any of you who help me!

Thank you so much to those who will read and reply! :)

Edited by Jazz

Lets see :)

Spinal Injury - This is good to mention to explain why you didn't participate. I know the school I am applying to strongly recommended that kids do this, explain themselves (death + injury, hard times). but if you mention this they are gonna want to see you volunteering in other places, to show that you don't stop at injuries that you overcome them.

Turn Around - You are looking at making straight A's and making that 5.0 finally a goal :) junior year is the one that really matters. You will be applying to college during end of summer time, and Senior year is not that important to that extent. That is, It wont show on your GPA transcript till semester ends, which is already for some schools decision time (December). But definitely keep up senior grades with one last stride!

Do you have the money for college, cause that will help, knowing all you have is acceptance to look at. If you are looking for financial aid, you might find that students who have kept up grades might get this position. But still, DEF, apply :)

We have the same schedule i believe =) You need to start really diversifying yourself from others. One thing that makes me stand out is the amount of extra classes i have on my belt. I have more credits than anyone in my school, so shows I can take course load. An injury is not kind of what they are looking for, perhaps if you had participated as a speaker or representative and used this for the better? People with diabetes in some states take strong actions, organizing events and charities for the disease. You might want to give this a spin for the last 2 years you have.

SAT - this is where you could excel VERY nicely, to put all disadvantages behind you. A 1400 is considered very nice for many schools across the states :) anything higher than that is amazing! Keep on striving for it. Don't wait for SAT, take a practice one and see where you stand - then look to improve A LOT. I am trying to crunch 3,400 more vocab for SAT and I bought a math SAT only book. This is a great tip. 7-100 new vocab a day to improve English, and keep working for math through practice. Take advantage of English, bIo + Chem and take SAT II to make yourself look really good (during first opening Senior year, after summer).

Here is something I am regretting now. Take advantage and do SAT scores Junior Year!! Study sooooo hard now, and over the course of the year work like a dog, like a dog!! Then senior year will be applications, thought process, scholarships, competitions, awards and exams. I have to worry for SAT alllllll the way to December, like last minute I am submitting my scores just to get SAT II in (topics were not covered junior year for me to take test) and also increasing English a little.

Before you take ACT, take several practice. I find the test hideous. Its disgusting to me if I may say so. The science section ticks me off, because there is no improvement or work that can be done outside the test - what you score is what you score. Unless, you know a little what it's talking about (I might just stop wasting Saturdays in the next few months and not even try for ACT anymore. Score hasn't gone up to where I want it).

Final: Is that really a school you want to go to? I know going through and up to junior year I was aiming IVY League. Looking for the best pre-med percentages. Then I learned exactly what I was looking for, a course load that only serves the colleges a label. Most IVY schools overwhelm you with so much work so that those who are a "IF" list drop out before they can tarnish their reputation (e.g., Harvard overloads so they can claim the 100% med school acceptance after Pre-med). I figured out that 14 years of school will come to a good quarter to half million dollars, and even with these hopeful scholarship + loans they only cut the price of education - not eliminate it all. So even if I was willing to embark on Harvard, my tuition cut in half of lets say 500,000 dollars is still a 250,000 debt I will have to pay. If you are searching for a 8 year + career, you want first 4 years to be free and paid for, maybe even money in pocket. Excel with superior excellence and then treat yourself to that dorm in Harvard's Harry Potter castle. Suddenly, you are faced with only a much smaller debt. I would suggest, as I should have done, hire (if u dont have one) a college councilor and make plans. They would be the best person to talk to - they can help you sooo much with what you are looking for. Preferably Riiight after junior year, when grades have settled and first week of summer you start college search with someone who knows what they are doing. They will be better capable to tell you if the grades you finally make will allow you to go to that school, and they could also help you with better alternatives. Or you can just do what I do, personally research everything and refuse to talk to people that I fear, might dwindle on the process of college applications on and on so that their hourly salary is up and up.

Best of Luck ;) !!

• Like 3

Lets see :D

Spinal Injury - This is good to mention to explain why you didn't participate. I know the school I am applying to strongly recommended that kids do this, explain themselves (death + injury, hard times). but if you mention this they are gonna want to see you volunteering in other places, to show that you don't stop at injuries that you overcome them.

Turn Around - You are looking at making straight A's and making that 5.0 finally a goal :) junior year is the one that really matters. You will be applying to college during end of summer time, and Senior year is not that important to that extent. That is, It wont show on your GPA transcript till semester ends, which is already for some schools decision time (December). But definitely keep up senior grades with one last stride!

Do you have the money for college, cause that will help, knowing all you have is acceptance to look at. If you are looking for financial aid, you might find that students who have kept up grades might get this position. But still, DEF, apply :)

We have the same schedule i believe =) You need to start really diversifying yourself from others. One thing that makes me stand out is the amount of extra classes i have on my belt. I have more credits than anyone in my school, so shows I can take course load. An injury is not kind of what they are looking for, perhaps if you had participated as a speaker or representative and used this for the better? People with diabetes in some states take strong actions, organizing events and charities for the disease. You might want to give this a spin for the last 2 years you have.

SAT - this is where you could excel VERY nicely, to put all disadvantages behind you. A 1400 is considered very nice for many schools across the states :D anything higher than that is amazing! Keep on striving for it. Don't wait for SAT, take a practice one and see where you stand - then look to improve A LOT. I am trying to crunch 3,400 more vocab for SAT and I bought a math SAT only book. This is a great tip. 7-100 new vocab a day to improve English, and keep working for math through practice. Take advantage of English, bIo + Chem and take SAT II to make yourself look really good (during first opening Senior year, after summer).

Here is something I am regretting now. Take advantage and do SAT scores Junior Year!! Study sooooo hard now, and over the course of the year work like a dog, like a dog!! Then senior year will be applications, thought process, scholarships, competitions, awards and exams. I have to worry for SAT alllllll the way to December, like last minute I am submitting my scores just to get SAT II in (topics were not covered junior year for me to take test) and also increasing English a little.

Before you take ACT, take several practice. I find the test hideous. Its disgusting to me if I may say so. The science section ticks me off, because there is no improvement or work that can be done outside the test - what you score is what you score. Unless, you know a little what it's talking about (I might just stop wasting Saturdays in the next few months and not even try for ACT anymore. Score hasn't gone up to where I want it).

Final: Is that really a school you want to go to? I know going through and up to junior year I was aiming IVY League. Looking for the best pre-med percentages. Then I learned exactly what I was looking for, a course load that only serves the colleges a label. Most IVY schools overwhelm you with so much work so that those who are a "IF" list drop out before they can tarnish their reputation (e.g., Harvard overloads so they can claim the 100% med school acceptance after Pre-med). I figured out that 14 years of school will come to a good quarter to half million dollars, and even with these hopeful scholarship + loans they only cut the price of education - not eliminate it all. So even if I was willing to embark on Harvard, my tuition cut in half of lets say 500,000 dollars is still a 250,000 debt I will have to pay. If you are searching for a 8 year + career, you want first 4 years to be free and paid for, maybe even money in pocket. Excel with superior excellence and then treat yourself to that dorm in Harvard's Harry Potter castle. Suddenly, you are faced with only a much smaller debt. I would suggest, as I should have done, hire (if u dont have one) a college councilor and make plans. They would be the best person to talk to - they can help you sooo much with what you are looking for. Preferably Riiight after junior year, when grades have settled and first week of summer you start college search with someone who knows what they are doing. They will be better capable to tell you if the grades you finally make will allow you to go to that school, and they could also help you with better alternatives. Or you can just do what I do, personally research everything and refuse to talk to people that I fear, might dwindle on the process of college applications on and on so that their hourly salary is up and up.

Best of Luck :blink: !!

Regarding what you mentioned about my spinal injury... yes, I will be doing a lot of volunteer work =] I am currently volunteering at the local hospital this summer, and holding a fundraiser in my small community. Over the course of my Junior school year I hope to find more volunteer work, but due to ride restrictions I cannot fit more into my belt this summer. I will be getting my official drivers license in November/December :)! This will make transportation schedules much easier.

Is Junior year really what colleges look for mainly? I was told that due to my poor grades in Sophomore year they would dock MANY points. I am still very upset that I let myself go to that extent. I know my capabilities, but I fooled around with distractions. I should have kept my head in the game. ;sigh; :(

I do not have MUCH money for college. I was definitely going to strive for some financial aid, to help over time. Within my family, the family does not provide money for college, sadly. We are supposed to pay it all off by ourselves once our career is officially stabilized. I hope I can get financial aid still! Do they only give financial aid to a select few?

Also, I know that the spinal injury does not exactly shout "This kid is DIFFERENT!". But other then my spinal injury, I was one of the selected within the Speech and Debate club to participate in the American Legion competition. I did not get far last year because there was a relative who passed away the day of one of my speeches. So, i had to unfortunately drop out. During Junior year I hope to make it much farther into the competition, maybe even nationals! That is obviously a stretch :) but I do hope that I can make it to State competition at least. I have been in the Scientifically Speaking Club && Art Club during my sophomore year, and plan to participate it again Junior and Senior year as well.

I am starting my volunteer work this summer, as mentioned above. I will be volunteering at the local hospital throughout high school now. This will be much easier once I attain my license, too. The fundraiser I was going to hold would occur this summer, and I was thinking of joining an environmental club Junior and Senior year.. planting trees and aiding our community in whatever way possible! I was also THINKING of joining Academic Decathlon in my school. But that requires a few after school hours two days during the week, and I'm not sure if it is wise to go through with this. Considering the fact that I am aiming for a 5.0 with all other IB requirements and volunteer work, I think I should stay with the current outline I have planned for myself. What do you think?

The only reason I have been lacking in my extra curricular is because I do not live near my school, and commute in order to attend the IB program. Receiving a ride at specific times to and from school is rough, so I am definitely trying to pick myself up now.. once my license is attained.

As for SAT's, I will be taking my SAT prep course this summer :) We will be taking tests and I will be able to view where I stand. I will definitely work hard for those.. and I am told that in order to get into UC Davis I should achieve an 1800 or higher on my SATs. Thank you for the vocabulary advice. I will work harder in that area as well. I am definitely taking the SAT junior year! :) My mom would have it no other way! And I will continue to study until my SAT score is where I would like it to be.

Final: In all honestly, I WAS thinking of IVY league schools. Every since 2nd grade to be honest. But, after my Sophomore dilemma, I doubt I qualify at all with all of the bright students who did NOT mess up in any way. And cost is definitely a factor. UC Davis is ranked the 42nd best College in the world, and one of three best medical schools in the state of California. It is also nearby my parents home, and living near my parents for the first four years of college would be ideal. I was planning to work extremely hard throughout the first four years of college as well. Getting into UC Davis would make my life MUCH easier in order to get into an outstanding medical school such as UC San Francisco, Stanford, or even an IVY league school. I do plan for 8+ years in college.

Once junior year is over I will most definitely inquire about a college counselor :) or possibly take things into my own initiative such as yourself!

Though, do you think my volunteer and extra curricular activities are good enough? Are there any suggestions you might have that might make my college applications much more smooth? I did not mention what I was planning to do, but I still have CAS hours that I may present on my college application, and what I did to achieve those hours.

Are there any other suggestions besides SAT, ACT, GPA?

Should I attempt Academic Decathlon?

Any answers to this post are greatly appreciated, once again! :)

Junior Year – no this is not the most important and ONLY thing they look at. You are just leaving them with the junior grades as a last impression that’s all. Senior grades might help, for the first semester, but only a few colleges want your full high school transcript to see specifically how you did for last year. I did go to a weak school seminar, and they stressed that even they are looking at Senior year because it’s a good indication of the burn-outs. They urged strongly to keep grades up, and that more and more, they are reflecting on senior year. So yes, you have to work really hard – but junior year is marked important just because for most colleges you wont really let them see the senior year GPA roll in because before the semester is done, the application Should (some wait – bad idea. Get it in early and/or on time) be already in. On the college App its going to ask you what your **current** rank is! That is, they know they don’t have those semester grades for senior year, but they don’t care – they want to do things on their own time. Its basically a good assumption, and a correct one that students worthy of their time you know, would maintain class rank, if maybe dwindle up and down only by a little. Impress!! Impress!!!

Financial Aid is not a bad thing, I think its actually a great advantage if you are poor at times. My family doesn’t make much and now I am enjoying the fruits of labor, not in the form of monetary purposes through previous years!! Check to see if you school has Blind-Need Based, or something like that..just type in Blind or Blind + Aid in their search bar and see if they have that policy. What is it!? It basically means that they accept kids into school **without** looking to see if you want money from them. After you get accepted then they go back and try. There is a lot of people in California who have money for college so that’s why I kind of stayed away from that area knowing housing would be extremely expensive in some places. If your family makes less than 60,000 grand or less a year for I think 4 people, or whatever the guidelines are, then you can get free rides to some great colleges. Now that is all dandy and nice and WOW look Harvard looks so inexpensive!! NO :blink: The people who go to schools with 60 grand under policy on free rides are merit scholars with predictions maybe in the upper 38 + (without bonus points). Financial aid is a wonderful thing. Just know where you are applying. There are averages on school websites that say exactly how much people were granted yearly. Most of the time I see..oooohhh 50 grand for costs, and 25 grand is paid for. That is ridiculous I think. Other schools basically have the same ration, 15 grand tuition you might be looking at 3-7 grand given to your needs.

Quick Tip from Mr. Failure here: Get awards!! Filling out some resume crap, I realized I didnt have many awards to vouch for. Nothing too impressive. Get some while you can!

Don’t do Deca unless u can get far into the hierarchy or competition. I know what you mean about rides to school, I take a 2 hour bus ride sometimes. You just have to work it out, because for the most part they wont care. Don’t mention this – they will wonder why you couldn’t find SOMETHING to do in the local community back home. They wont care. Just know, no excuses. They are solid about this :(

Yeah keep up the goal of 5.0. Academics will come first, and then other things will speak for themselves. Just know, you are competing with kids at your level. So when someone is looking at 5.0 kids, then extracurricular and other activities will come into play. Or maybe them alone, will get you in. Some students get horrible grades, but manage to dazzle with campaigns that are national.

SAT – 1800 is not bad. That’s average I think. 600 on each. Writing should already come with that, if you are any good at math 600 will be there, and reading will be a factor to be determined because you cant really improve on the analytical skills only on vocab. But you want to dazzle them, so aim 2100. That is considered very good :D spread the 300 ++ in the three categories and you are looking at 700 at each SAT category. That is VERY good.

More: your IB scores can be impressive. If you are aiming for medical school then we are on the same page. You are looking at a massive debt to be paid. Know that most doctors earn a starting salary of mere 110 grand. Don’t think about those big bucks, because they are so far you wont even know what they are at the time of college. That is years of paying debt. Like I said, I see these kids in my school, and I’d like to call them blind. They are throwing themselves into IVY league schools only because of the name, not understanding anything more. Everyone should look at the aura build around these schools and the captivating effect they have on students. Maybe people should even take business tips from them because Harvard works at a 35 + billion dollar budget, for a good reason. There is only 2-4 people I think deserve to go to Ivy league school out of the 50 + kids at my school, and only like 1 of them are actually applying there :D I think IVY is more appropriate when you have proven yourself outstanding in 4 year college courses, looking to continue the next 4. That is my plan. No need to rush into fire, when I can do even better here at home. I have a Perfect school near me. University of Florida. You know how much tuition is for in-state? 3 grand!! And its one of the top school in the country, often number 1 for public schools ( in terms of overall deal). Keep going for your goal and murder yourself with work Junior year. Get awards, apply to scholarships NOW (some of them close on every month of the year basis). Look up contests to win, keep going for things that don’t hurt your back. You really ought to branch out of your state and look upon other schools and even look in your own state. I saw some great schools in California at low in-state tuition!

Thank you so much! You have helped me in many ways :D

I can not begin to tell you how much! I will set myself to all of your recommendations! I was aiming for a 2000 at first for SAT scores, but will aim higher. There is nothing wrong with higher goals.

I agree completely about IVY league and the "pride" factor many people get out of it. I WILL continue this working streak, and I hopefully may attend a school such as Harvard for graduate school.

Does anyone have any ideas about any organizations that provide awards? As I posted earlier, I am planning to put myself into the American Legion Speech Contest, and hopefully gain an award through there :blink: Are there any local Californians who know of anything?

Thank you all again for any responses given out of your time. I will appreciate them immensely :D

No Problem, glad to help! I came To America and so I had to do everything on my own like many kids!

I am carving my sister, going to be a 9th grader, into a perfect Harvard candidate for a full scholarship :D That's when things are well worth it :blink: !!

Best of Luck~!!