university in a different province

CAY

hey guys! I needed to be cleared up on a tuition fee matter...

(this question is really specific for Canada)

uni. tuition fees are cheaper for those who live in the province that the uni. is in, right?

is it the same province btw? or the same city/some type of other boundary?

so for a Manitoba student going to, let's say, U of Toronto, then it would be more expensive for the Manitoba student than an Ontario student at U of T?

another big clear-up I need: how LONG have you had to live in that province in order to pay the lower tuition fee? i've heard that it's 2 years... is this correct? is this same in all the universities across Canada?

would the tuition fee be cheaper for just the first year or the rest of your undergrad years?

how about for grad studies?

And another question: how much do the universities place the home province student over the out-of-province students in, for ex., accepting into that university's med. school? is it so that the out-of-province students are really at a disadvantage to the home-province students?

is there any other kind of disadvantage, or let's take it the other way... What other kinds of benefits are there in going to a home-province university?

I'll be going into gr. 11 come September and my family is trying to decide whether or not we need to move to a different province.

Thanks to all of you in advance :P

Edited by CAY

Tuition is the same regardless if you live in that province or if you go there just for uni... provided you're Canadian. Anyone who isn't Canadian would have to pay the fees for international students. However, in Quebec, those who live there pay less for tuition than those who go there from Toronto, for example.

I'll put in a plug for my school... Memorial University of Newfoundland boasts having the cheapest tuition in ALL of Canada as well as being the largest university in Atlantic Canada. Our tuition is about $2500 for 2 semesters.

Tuition is the same regardless of undergrad year.

For some med schools, they place a lot of emphasis on where you live. I know my med school has seats for about 44 Newfoundlanders and then like 5 for those from NS, and 10 from NB... something like that.