TOK presentation questions

suisue

My presentation is based on the whether we have an innate sense of language. I have got different perspective from scientist by looking at those that agree and oppose that we have an innate sense of language, this will help me fulfil one of the criteria. I was going to start off with a situation like a situation in real life before linking it to this knowledge issue. I have decided to agree that we have an innate sense of language but I can't think of anything on what implication this will have with other ways of knowing or areas of knowledge. Can some one possibly give me an example if you are really nice as a guide?

I have been thinking about this for weeks also, what topic should I choose so that I can link it to my knowledge issue beforehand. You get what I mean if you look at the example. For example, a topic on phlogistan can be linked with the issue of whether any of our scientific entities are real. I have done all the bit of my presentation and I decided to start off by saying that teachers have always been wondering why some students are better at language naturally than others and then ask the question of whether we have an innate sense of language? Do you guys feel that this will work or do you guys have any other ideas I can do? doing it this way has also made it harder to state the signicance of my topic?

Please help, your help would be much appreciated because I am a bit lost.

This is why you're better off choosing a real-life issue before you choose your topic. The diagram provided by the IB does suggest this. You may need to reconsider your topic. I for instance noticed how the US senate changed "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" I then thought about why they did this and so now I'm doing my presentation on political language and perception. I've seen another top mark presentation that asked "Is wikipaedia an encyclopaedia?", in doing this they were able to discuss some really deep issues at the heart of the TOK course. Your presentation can be linked to any real-life situation no matter how menial, just as long as it's not political. You could talk about the implications of language difficulties in Cross-cultural teachers. My economics teacher, for example, worked as a teacher in China for several years. He knew very little Chinese and so this of course has certain implications in teacher the students based on their ability to accept language. Another of my teachers grew up in Fulham, in England, where the closest school was a French-speaking school; she was held back two years because she had so much trouble learning in a foreign language. These are just examples of the cross-cultural education system that's evolved from globalisation, I'm sure you could pick similar examples.