How to write a Personal Statement when you want to apply to different courses

lindieeluieee

I'm having problems writing my personal statement as I am thinking of applying to different courses and in most of the personal statement writing guides, they indicated that you should talk about your interest in the course and any career paths. It may sound foolish, but I simply want to work in an office someday and do whatever people do in them, ie. I don't have any passion as of yet. Should I fake a passion for something in my personal statement or not? If I do not talk about the course and just my personal qualities would I be at a disadvantage to the same candidates applying who have written their personal statements specifically to suit the requirements of the course?

I do have a general direction, that is either Economics, Business or Management but sometimes these course involve joint majors such as Geography and Economics.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pick whichever of those degrees you'd rather get in for, and be passionate about things which sound related to it without actually mentioning it! It's really tricky to do this-- I don't see why you can't do a different personal statement for difference courses myself, but there we have it, it's a silly system :)

It's best to appear passionate about -something-, though. Otherwise your statement might work for all the courses, but fail to 'wow' any of them. It's better to get in somewhere than nowhere. You can of course attempt to combine these things in a subtle way. Economics, Geography and Business can probably be reasonably well related, and work experience for one ought to vaguely work for the others. It's not too bad a set of subjects to try to combine for. Good luck with it, anyway! O:

UCAS is thinking about allowing applicants to write a different PS for each university they apply to, but that hasn't come into effect yet as it's still being debated. So for now you'll have to write one PS for all.

Your best bet would be to express a passion for each one of those. If you mention them in passing, and then combine them together into one thing e.g. Humanities courses like these are applicable to many different careers such as _____ and _________, which I hope to pursue in the future. A good thing to do is mention a future career and how you think the courses will contribute towards you achieving that career. Universities like to see that students have a direction and know what they want to do, rather than "I want to study Economics and see where it takes me" (although that could work too).

And yes, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't mention a passion for anything. Universities want to know that the students they accept genuinely want to study their course; they don't want people to drop out because they have no real interest in the course when they start. All the best qualities in the world won't make up for no passion. You will be comepting with a lot of other students for a place; my friend faked a passion for business management and got an offer from Warwick, which is a veyr good university. She has no idea what she wants to do in the future either, but decided that it was best to pretend she did so she'd get in somewhere. You cna change your plans after you get in.

I'm having problems writing my personal statement as I am thinking of applying to different courses and in most of the personal statement writing guides, they indicated that you should talk about your interest in the course and any career paths. It may sound foolish, but I simply want to work in an office someday and do whatever people do in them, ie. I don't have any passion as of yet. Should I fake a passion for something in my personal statement or not? If I do not talk about the course and just my personal qualities would I be at a disadvantage to the same candidates applying who have written their personal statements specifically to suit the requirements of the course?

I do have a general direction, that is either Economics, Business or Management but sometimes these course involve joint majors such as Geography and Economics.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

well...

first off, you should definitely take HL economics

it will give you a good understanding of how the flow of money works

i think its fine if you dunno what you want to do yet

just simply state in your statements that you don't know what you want to do yet, and therefore want to try everything possible

• Like 1