World Lit 1 Thesis Approval

OKay i have a world lit 1 assignment due and i would love to know if these thesiss (haha) are worthy or need to be phrased better. Basically, I need opinions and help too :P

The relationships in Pedro Paramo and Chronicle of a Death Foretold between Pedro Paramo and Susana San Juan, and Santiago Nasar and Maria Cervantes personify the control women have over men thus reflecting Rulfo’s and Marquez’s view on the role of women in society.

OR

Through the passive aggressiveness of Father Renteria, from Pedro Paramo, and the villagers as a whole, in Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Rulfo and Marquez criticize/satirize society’s weak, maleable will and role in the deaths of the two main characters.

Edited by Aboo
Does the thread title really have to be in Caps?
  • Like 1

I think the second one sounds better, since the role of women and their weakness is a common WL topic. And the first title has lots of characters in it to compare, and the thesis statement sounds a bit complicated with all their names in it.

I think that while discussing the role of women in any paper is a bit overdone, overall it is a topic which is more applicable to real life, and something which is not just limited to one particular book- I think people will like this.

However, your title sounds really complicated (both of them) and I would suggest removing the names of the characters from the title.

In the end, you should just pick something you like, because even if one may sound better or appeal more to a reader, ultimately you are writing the assignment, and will get your ideas from the passion you hold for whatever you are focusing on.

my teacher told me they were both vague...i think i'm going to go for the second one because the first is cliche...but then again the first one is much easier and i can use a lot of reference from the book...I really don't knoww!

:/

Well i decided to do the second one. I wanted to use Abundio because he was the only one who did stand up to Pedro (at the end) and embodied the rage of all the people mistreated by Pedro but i dont know.

This is what its going to be:

Topic: Comparing and contrasting the failures of Father Renteria, in Pedro Paramo, and the villagers, in Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

Thesis: Rulfo and Marquez, through the passive aggressiveness of Father Renteria and the villagers as a whole, criticize the lack of morality and strength of will in Nasar’s and Paramo’s communities thus contributing to their deaths.

Explanation: Father Renteria always thinks about how he sways because of money even though he should be devoted to his god not a worldly possession. If Father Renteria stood up to Pedro and did his duty as a priest, others would stand up to Pedro and keep him from becoming so powerful. The villagers also decide not to tell Santiago anything because maybe he already knew, they hated him, or they though someone else will do it. Both authors emphasize what the characters COULD do, but don’t which adds the satirical element to these failures.