Chemistry lab about order of reaction

Tilia

We did a lab where we were supposed to find the order of reaction of the reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid from measuring the volume of gas formed vs time. I've drawn a graph, found the logarithmic function and now I need to find the initial rates. I know that the initial rate is the initial gradient, but what's the best way of finding it?

I haven't learned calculus yet, so I'm not expected to use derivatives. I thought about treating the first and second measured value as a straight line and hence find the slope, but that will be over a comparatively large time period. Is it better to use the function to interpolate a value inbetween and thus get a smaller time interval?

If so, how do I treat the uncertainties while taking the log?

I've never scored full marks on DCP, so please help me! :P

I may be taking this totally the wrong way, but you can straight-line-ify it and therefore make finding gradients pretty simple by either taking 1/T or I think you can also do it using logarithmic values. Either way, you should change it into a straight line that way.

EDIT: I should add, we did a similar experiment and all the different graphs, their shapes and their axes ought to be in your textbook. I found it all there.

Edited by Sandwich