A bit of help with WL2?

So I have just finished my first draft of my world lit 2, and gotten it back from my teacher with a few comments

What I did was option B (a creative essay), on The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

my topic was basically focusing on how Ferula, Rosa and Clara, and Blanca influenced Esteban's character throughout the novel

However, apparently my teacher thinks that I've basically written out a 1200 word plot summary

I can see why she thinks this - my essay follows Esteban's life, which I guess essentially is the novel's story line

but I didn't do this intentionally! I basically took 4 or 5 pivotal moments in his life.. and focused on those. but I guess I need to fix this.

my other problem is the whole creative aspect.. my essay is written as if it is a story being told orally, and incorporates some of the symbolism used in the novel

but... I dont think the whole oral narration thing is defined enough.. Im thinking that it needs to be less broad.. should I just focus on one part of Esteban's life and make it into a new chapter for the novel? so instead of 'oral narrative', it's a 'new chapter in the novel'

Im so frustrated, and my teacher is not much help. She's very brilliant with literature, but she's one of those teachers with the 'Im just doing this for the paycheck' attitude..

thanks in advance for any help, Im just so confused right now and not sure how to refine my idea to something acceptable and with a clear intention.

Yes, make it a new chapter and be clear about your intention. What are you trying to show? By what means? How? And be sure to evaluate, don't you ever just describe! I haven't read that novel, but you can always try to find some symbolism, literary features, whatever. Good luck.

I agree with Tilia, you should make it a new chapter. That way you can also try to imitate the author's writing style and include literary devices and symbols that appear throughout the book.

I haven't read the book, but make sure your creative assignment is completely unique to the book and really explores certain key aspects of the book. this is what my teacher said, except he really did not recommend us to do the creative option. Hope this helps!

Bonne Chance!

I haven't read the book, but make sure your creative assignment is completely unique to the book and really explores certain key aspects of the book. this is what my teacher said, except he really did not recommend us to do the creative option. Hope this helps!

I don't think it's a bad idea to do the creative one. My WL is going to be creative (I intend to rewrite the epilogue in Crime and Punishment in a biblical style), and it's nice to do something else than these analytical formal dry essays we normally write.