Genius vs. Hard Work

Hard work in a clear winner in this discussion. I must say that hard work is very very important to attain success in any field. It is like cristiano ronaldo (Genius) and lionel messi (Hard work). The more successful palyer is lionel messi as he won FIFA Ballon d'or 4 times.

Guest moonkyu97

Hard work in a clear winner in this discussion. I must say that hard work is very very important to attain success in any field. It is like cristiano ronaldo (Genius) and lionel messi (Hard work). The more successful palyer is lionel messi as he won FIFA Ballon d'or 4 times.

You kidding? Messi is the Genius while Ronaldo was the Hard Worker. Messi was selected by Maradona as his successor when he was 18, while Ronaldo lacked the skills apparent in Messi when he was the same age. As Pique said, "Cristiano is a perfect machine, a natural-born hard worker who always wants to improve. He demands a lot from himself, something he showed at United. What surprised me the most is that Messi won four consecutive Ballon d’Ors and he still maintained his level, to continuously try to beat him.", while also saying, "Leo [Messi] is different, he’s naturally talented. Maybe he isn’t as obsessive or hard-working as Cristiano, but when he has the ball it’s impossible to stop him. You think you can steal the ball from him, but Leo is a genius. He has been since childhood, the best player in the world."

Which would make the Genius the winner, then. But I think they are both winners in this occasion.

You kidding? Messi is the Genius while Ronaldo was the Hard Worker. Messi was selected by Maradona as his successor when he was 18, while Ronaldo lacked the skills apparent in Messi when he was the same age. As Pique said, "Cristiano is a perfect machine, a natural-born hard worker who always wants to improve. He demands a lot from himself, something he showed at United. What surprised me the most is that Messi won four consecutive Ballon d’Ors and he still maintained his level, to continuously try to beat him.", while also saying, "Leo [Messi] is different, he’s naturally talented. Maybe he isn’t as obsessive or hard-working as Cristiano, but when he has the ball it’s impossible to stop him. You think you can steal the ball from him, but Leo is a genius. He has been since childhood, the best player in the world."

Which would make the Genius the winner, then. But I think they are both winners in this occasion.

But if you see his body, it looks like he is made for sports. Take sports like basket ball. His jumps are as much as an average basketball player. In soccer his speed, skill, height makes him a genius at this sport.

I think both of you may have gotten sidetracked from the main discussion here. Sports have nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. In sports, it has been clearly established by science that genetics does have a very big role in determining the success of an athlete. On the other hand, the genetics' influence is not so clear when we talk about intelligence. Therefore, using sports in this discussion may not be a very good argument.

Although it is hard to decide which side would win this debate, I still strongly believe that hard-work overrides 'naturally-born' talents in a long-run. In my opinion, hard work (plus passions and curiosity) makes up everything, while 'natural talents' would lead to nowhere. Just think about it. A person who was born genius would not succeed without hard work. On the other hand, a person without 'natural talents' but is hard-working would still have a high chance of success.

It's very often that when we see someone successful/famous, we then directly associate that person with the word 'genius' in the sense that that person is naturally gifted. For example, many people see Einstein as a genius because he was born with it. Or we often think of Bill Gates & Steve Jobs as naturally-gifted people because they dropped out of college. However, we tend to forget that these people have worked extra-hard on the field that they extremely passionate about. I would even go further and say that it would be an insult to these successful people if we associate them with some kind of 'genetic' advantage (that they somehow were born with it). This is because these people would want others to recognize them by their hard-word they have done & also by their passions, but never by their genetic advantage.

After reading through most of the posts in this thread, I think it's safe to claim that most people think that your hard-work (and not your naturally-born talents) would get your wanted 7 in IB. By the way, here are some talks & articles that may change your perspectives forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN34FNbOKXc

https://www.khanacademy.org/about/blog/post/95208400815/the-learning-myth-why-ill-never-tell-my-son-hes

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3034767/is-genius-born-or-bred-khan-academy-weighs-in

#YouCanLearnAnything :)

• Like 1

I agree with Vioh on all he said, and I would like to add that different people learn different ways. Auditive learner may appear as "more talented" as lessons very far support his strongest way of learning. That's necessarily not the case, he just gets the best benefit of lessons and then he has to work less outside them. If lessons were built to support visual learners it would propably turn other way around.

And work certainly plays important part.

When I came to PRE-DP I hated mathematics. I was lost. I didn't understand anything about lessons material. However this was my own fault. I was texting my friends, not focusing at all. On top of that there were some key points that were skipped on my previous school. For example we hadn't studied fractions since 4th degree, and usGe of them was forbidden. Then I however slowly started to get interested to mathematics and I noticed I also understand it. Now it's my abosolute favorite subject and I ended up as the best student of mathematics 2 course of entire school. I'm not talented but I did work for it. Now I love math and just want to explore it further :)) Isadly I'm not that talented on it, for example, my best friend calculateds way better on her head than I do. On the other hand I'm quite good at figuring out solutions/ways to solve a task. My favorite tasks are those I can calculate with only letters :D

I even bought HL Math book I'm never gonna actually need because my school doesn't offer HL math, just for interest :D

In the end am I talented? No. That's still noth a reason to stop trying because I can't chnage what I'm born with but I can chnage what I do with it ^^

Soworking never goes wasted :) no genius ever reaches anything without work

• 2 months later...

Hard work beats talent any day. 

Even if you are really good at something or gifted at it or whatever, it is necessary that you train your brain to continue feeding these gifts or talents or whatever people call them. If someone is gifted at maths for example, and doesn't practice any maths for two months, he or she will not be as gifted as they were when they were actually practicing. Its all about practice. Its all about hard work. Just like an Olympic athlete trains everyday(I mean, you can say they are gifted too because they have managed to get as far as the Olympics). But if they dont train enough, will they be able to get 1st place or 2nd place at the Olympics??)

Honestly, my english teacher says im really good at english and stuff. But he doesn't realise that I literally spend an entire day, or two(after I have planned my essays) writing and going over my essays. I still havent perfected that though because if I did I would generally be getting 7's rather than 6's, but hopefully by IB 2 that will become my average english score. 

IB needs hard workers more than it needs gifted or talented people. Because if you are gifted and lazy, you will never reach your full potential at IB. 

If a person is 20% smarter than you, then that means that you will just have to work 20% harder to beat him. In life there is always someone better than you, Always. That just means that we can't help but work hard to achieve the goal. But then when you finally achieve that goal, the amount of satisfaction you will feel from doing so will be great.

• Like 1