Looking for advice on History Extended Essay question on the Kokoda Track Campaign in PNG, WW2

AustralianIBChild

hey all, I'm halfway through my EE draft but have hit a few mental roadblocks. My question is 'How decisive was the Kokoda Track Campaign between July and November 1942 in halting the Japanese advancement in the Pacific War in World War II?' I have completed heavy research but am struggling to answer the question, as in, I don't know how to address the 'how decisive' aspect. I've spoken to my supervisor, but it's not helping me. They suggested discussing long and short-term impacts, but yeah, can't grasp how to do that. Any advice would be welcomed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 2:21 AM, AustralianIBChild said:

hey all, I'm halfway through my EE draft but have hit a few mental roadblocks. My question is 'How decisive was the Kokoda Track Campaign between July and November 1942 in halting the Japanese advancement in the Pacific War in World War II?' I have completed heavy research but am struggling to answer the question, as in, I don't know how to address the 'how decisive' aspect. I've spoken to my supervisor, but it's not helping me. They suggested discussing long and short-term impacts, but yeah, can't grasp how to do that. Any advice would be welcomed. 

Hey there! Your EE topic is a fascinating one, and it's understandable to hit some roadblocks along the way. Let's try to break down the "how decisive" aspect of your question.

Define "Decisive"

Before diving into the analysis, it might be helpful to define what "decisive" means in the context of your essay. Does it mean a turning point in the war? Does it mean a halt in Japanese momentum? By setting a clear definition, you can then measure the Kokoda Track Campaign against that standard.

Immediate Impacts

Tactical: Did the campaign lead to significant losses for the Japanese in terms of manpower, equipment, or strategic positions?
Momentum: Did the campaign halt or slow down the Japanese advancement immediately? Compare the pace of advancement before and after the campaign.
Morale: How did the campaign affect the morale of both the Japanese and Allied forces?

Long-term Impacts

Strategic Shifts: Did the outcome of the campaign lead to any changes in the broader strategy of the war? For instance, did it force the Japanese to reconsider their objectives or tactics in the Pacific?
Resource Allocation: Were resources (like troops, equipment, or focus) diverted elsewhere as a direct result of the campaign's outcome?
Reputation & Alliances: Did the campaign's outcome influence other nations' perceptions and their decisions to ally or support either side?
Counterfactual Analysis: This is a method where you consider what might have happened had the Kokoda Track Campaign not taken place or had a different outcome. While speculative, it can help illustrate the significance of the actual events.

Comparative Analysis

Compare the decisiveness of the Kokoda Track Campaign to other significant campaigns in the Pacific War. This can provide a scale or reference point.

Primary Sources

If you have access to primary sources like letters, diaries, or official communications, these can provide insights into the perceptions of the campaign's significance at the time.

Conclusion

After analyzing the immediate and long-term impacts, circle back to your definition of "decisive" and make a judgment. Was the campaign decisive by your standards? Why or why not?

EE is as much about the process and critical thinking as it is about the answer. It's okay to conclude that the decisiveness of the campaign is ambiguous or that it was decisive in some ways but not others. The key is to present a well-reasoned and evidence-backed argument.

f you are interested, you can also check this article with a list of interesting History EE ideas. I hope this helps provide some clarity and direction for your essay.

Best of luck with your writing, and remember to take breaks and step back when needed. Sometimes a fresh perspective can do wonders! I