IB Economics Extended Essay

Melikk

Hey! I'm writing my ee in economics and my topic is on sustainable consumption and prodcution of textiles in Sweden.

I want to talk about both production and consumption becauseI have points to talk about in both parts..

But, I do know that this is not common and I was wondering if I could do BOTH the consumption and production throughout the essay.. or if it is not a good idea and why that would be so?

Help is appreciated🙏

Edited by Melikk

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, Melikk said:

Hey! I'm writing my ee in economics and my topic is on sustainable consumption and prodcution of textiles in Sweden.

I want to talk about both production and consumption becauseI have points to talk about in both parts..

But, I do know that this is not common and I was wondering if I could do BOTH the consumption and production throughout the essay.. or if it is not a good idea and why that would be so?

Help is appreciated🙏

Hello! Your topic on sustainable consumption and production of textiles in Sweden sounds intriguing and timely. Let's address your concerns:

Pros of Covering Both Consumption and Production

Holistic View: By examining both consumption and production, you can provide a comprehensive overview of the entire supply chain in Sweden's textile industry.

Interconnectedness: Often, consumption patterns can influence production strategies and vice versa. By analyzing both, you can highlight these interdependencies.

Diverse Data: You'll have a wider range of data and sources to pull from, which can enrich your analysis.

Potential Challenges

Depth vs. Breadth: The Extended Essay has a word limit, and by covering both consumption and production, you risk spreading yourself too thin. It's essential to strike a balance between depth and breadth. You don't want to merely scratch the surface of both areas without delving deep into either.

Complexity: Managing two significant aspects within one essay can make it more complex, both in terms of research and structure. It might be challenging to ensure a coherent flow.

Focus of Analysis: Economics EEs often require a specific analytical focus, be it on a particular economic theory, model, or principle. By covering both consumption and production, you'll need to ensure that your analytical focus remains sharp and consistent.

Recommendations

Clear Structure: If you decide to tackle both, ensure your essay has a clear structure. Perhaps you can dedicate specific sections or chapters to consumption and production, respectively.

Interlink the Two: Highlight how consumption patterns influence production strategies in Sweden and vice versa. This will help your essay feel more cohesive.

Consult with Your Supervisor: Your EE supervisor will have insights specific to the IB criteria and can guide you on whether your approach aligns with the expectations for an Economics EE.

Consider a Central Question: To keep your essay focused, consider framing it around a central question or hypothesis that ties both consumption and production together. For example: "How do sustainable consumption patterns in Sweden drive sustainable production practices in the textile industry, and what are the economic implications of this relationship?"

While it's uncommon to tackle both consumption and production, it's not impossible. You can also check this article with a list of different EE Economics topics that may help you find some inspiration.

The key is to remain focused, structured, and ensure that your analysis is in-depth and relevant to the field of economics. Best of luck with your EE!