Advice: Which IB classes should I take for a Business/Commerce majors at top UK Universities?

jelly477

Hello,

I have to confirm my IB subjects very soon as I will be going to grade 10, right now my subjects are: HL: Business Management, Math AA, Design Technology, SL: Visual art, Chinese B, Language and literature. However, my strong suit is not in math, I would be more confident in doing a humanities subject. I am not sure if I should keep to these subjects because I want to study business management or commerce (but pretty flexible) in the UK but they do not all require math. However, at top unis the requirements are mostly math HL a grade 7/7 for majors like economics or finance. I want to aim for some top universities, despite my major, would it be worth it to choose at math HL if I am not particularly good at it or change my HL subjects to business, econ and design (as it may be more manageable) ? Do you have any advice on what I should do? Thank you so much!

Math AA is, indeed, infamous for being difficult. It was the subject that I personally found the most challenging, so if you're certain that you would hate studying AA, then I would advise you to avoid it if possible. Does your school offer Math AI? It is generally considered to be easier, especially if you're interested in statistics more than calculus.

Also, I think by "top unis" you mean LSE, UCL etc right? If you're also thinking Oxbridge, then I suggest you check the subject requirements for each college because some might not require Math AA. (I'm going to Cambridge for Science, and when I was picking a college to apply for, I referred to a list that stated the subject and grade requirements for each college. The requirements differed for each college, despite being the exact same course. It might be similar for business as well.)

11 hours ago, monetsmoney said:

Math AA is, indeed, infamous for being difficult. It was the subject that I personally found the most challenging, so if you're certain that you would hate studying AA, then I would advise you to avoid it if possible. Does your school offer Math AI? It is generally considered to be easier, especially if you're interested in statistics more than calculus.

Also, I think by "top unis" you mean LSE, UCL etc right? If you're also thinking Oxbridge, then I suggest you check the subject requirements for each college because some might not require Math AA. (I'm going to Cambridge for Science, and when I was picking a college to apply for, I referred to a list that stated the subject and grade requirements for each college. The requirements differed for each college, despite being the exact same course. It might be similar for business as well.)

My school does not offer math AI HL. Yes I meant LSE and UCL, I checked the subject requirements and the math AA requirement is needed for economics or finance, which is why I am still unsure about my subject choices. 

• 7 months later...

It is commendable that you are actively considering your choice of International Baccalaureate (IB) subjects and how they align with your future aspirations. Your dilemma of whether to continue with Math AA HL or switch to a humanities subject is a common one among students facing similar decisions.

First, it is very important to recognize your strengths and interests. If you feel more confident and passionate about humanities subjects rather than maths, it's worth exploring options that better suit your skills and interests. Studying subjects that you enjoy and excel at can improve your academic performance and overall satisfaction with your IB program.
Personally, it helps me in my studies https://studyfy.com/do-my-assignment . I  do my assignment for me and not only for myself very quickly and conveniently.
Given your desire to study business management or commerce in the UK, it is important to research the specific requirements of the universities you are interested in. While some universities may prioritize a high level of mathematics, others may offer greater flexibility in subject choice. To make an informed decision, we advise you to carefully study the entry requirements and preferences of your target universities.

Also, getting a high grade in AA HL maths can certainly strengthen your application, especially for competitive programs such as economics or finance. However, it is equally important to weigh the challenges of the subject against your willingness to put in the effort necessary to succeed.

Switching to subjects such as Business, Economics and Design can offer a more manageable workload while still meeting your academic interests and future goals. This combination of subjects could provide a well-rounded basis for continuing business-related studies at university level.