Chemistry EE - effect of water hardness on metal corrosion/scaling of pipes

greglyw__

Hello everyone I'm new here and I just want some advice/opinion on my EE topic. I'm currently finding a topic for my chem EE and I'm thinking of something like determining the water hardness of different sources of water (for example tap water, commercial bottled water and even untreated water like sea water) and testing how the hardness of water effects the rate of metal corrosion or scaling of pipes. I feel like it's a bit plain and not in depth enough for an EE please give me your feedback and opinions on the topic. Thank you!!

Edited by greglyw__

• greglyw__ changed the title to Chemistry EE - effect of water hardness on metal corrosion/scaling of pipes
2 hours ago, greglyw__ said:

Hello everyone I'm new here and I just want some advice/opinion on my EE topic. I'm currently finding a topic for my chem EE and I'm thinking of something like determining the water hardness of different sources of water (for example tap water, commercial bottled water and even untreated water like sea water) and testing how the hardness of water effects the rate of metal corrosion or scaling of pipes. I feel like it's a bit plain and not in depth enough for an EE please give me your feedback and opinions on the topic. Thank you!!

Yo, welcome to the Club!

First off, your idea's got some solid roots. Water hardness and its effects on metal corrosion or pipe scaling is a classic, but let's see if we can jazz it up for that EE flair.

Go Deep with the Chemistry

How about diving into the nitty-gritty of the chemical reactions taking place? You can study the ions present in different water sources and how they specifically interact with metal surfaces.

Real-world Applications

Maybe link your study to real-world implications, like how communities could save money by reducing pipe replacements or preventing water contamination.

Comparative Study

You could do a comparative study between two drastically different locations – like a coastal town (where seawater intrusion might affect tap water) and a mountain town. How do their water hardness levels affect corrosion differently?

Alternative Materials

Investigate if there are alternative materials that pipes could be made of that would react less with the hard water. Like a search for the “Corrosion-resistant Chosen One” in the world of materials.

Treatment Methods

Look into various water treatment methods and how they affect water hardness. Could some treatments be contributing to the problem? Are there new, innovative methods out there?

Visual Component

Get artsy with it! Maybe include a visual component where you show pictures of the pipes and the scaling or corrosion – you know, for that extra drama.

Cost-Benefit Analysis

How about adding an economic twist? Analyze the costs associated with different types of water hardness and their respective impacts on infrastructure.

The EE is all about depth. So, pick a focus and dive into the chemistry and implications like you’re exploring the Mariana Trench.

Good luck, chem whiz! May your experiments be epic and your conclusions earth-shattering (or at least pipe-saving 😉)

On 7/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, AnnaHoffman said:

Yo, welcome to the Club!

First off, your idea's got some solid roots. Water hardness and its effects on metal corrosion or pipe scaling is a classic, but let's see if we can jazz it up for that EE flair.

Go Deep with the Chemistry

How about diving into the nitty-gritty of the chemical reactions taking place? You can study the ions present in different water sources and how they specifically interact with metal surfaces.

Real-world Applications

Maybe link your study to real-world implications, like how communities could save money by reducing pipe replacements or preventing water contamination.

Comparative Study

You could do a comparative study between two drastically different locations – like a coastal town (where seawater intrusion might affect tap water) and a mountain town. How do their water hardness levels affect corrosion differently?

Alternative Materials

Investigate if there are alternative materials that pipes could be made of that would react less with the hard water. Like a search for the “Corrosion-resistant Chosen One” in the world of materials.

Treatment Methods

Look into various water treatment methods and how they affect water hardness. Could some treatments be contributing to the problem? Are there new, innovative methods out there?

Visual Component

Get artsy with it! Maybe include a visual component where you show pictures of the pipes and the scaling or corrosion – you know, for that extra drama.

Cost-Benefit Analysis

How about adding an economic twist? Analyze the costs associated with different types of water hardness and their respective impacts on infrastructure.

The EE is all about depth. So, pick a focus and dive into the chemistry and implications like you’re exploring the Mariana Trench.

Good luck, chem whiz! May your experiments be epic and your conclusions earth-shattering (or at least pipe-saving 😉)

Thank you so much for your help!! I really needed it and I must try and apply them to my topic! Thanks!!

• 1 month later...